Requests: flash related

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
analogfred

Requests: flash related

Post by analogfred »

These might only be applicable to windows.
1. Stop distributing it with slimjet.
There seems to always be an exploitable delay between when adobe puts out an update and when slimjet updates it. Plus you shouldnt have to manage another companies product. Personally i have been deleteing the slimjet flash directory on install to make sure the old version never runs. I use the adobe control panel updater.

2. autodetect adobe papi flash
Save us from that error prone, horrible, command line. Plus we need this if you do (1).

3. restore chromium 41 version of flash clicktoplay controls
41 had Allow/deny/ask. If set to ask (which everyone should probably be using for safety) you just had to click the gray flash box to activate flash.
42+ you have to right click the gray box, select run this addon from the popup window. It gets pretty annoying eventually on flash heavy sites.

paul1149

Re: Requests: flash related

Post by paul1149 »

On #3, I noticed the difference in the new scheme with dismay. I had to change the logic of my settings from "Block all, allow exceptions", to "Allow all, block exceptions", which is less ideal for me, and which involved the task of reversing all the exceptions I had registered.

Furthermore, I don't see any efficacy to the new middle setting for exceptions. Only Allow or Block work.

I like the idea of a built-in "prevent autostart". That, I think, would obviate any reliance on how Google screws up Chromium settings, as they are wont to do, in this regard.

dev

Post by dev »

Slimjet should only update pepperflash which is nothing to do with adobe and they only update it when they release a updated version of the browser and google have updated pepperflash in their browser and slimjet is pretty fast in updating as quick as chrome/chromium releases.
If pepperflash is enabled in slimjet/chrome/Chromium etc they will only see the Pepper Flash Player and use it by default. If you only use a chromium based browser on your system you could just completely uninstall adobe flash, if you run other browsers is when you need adobe and don't forget come September NPAPI plugins i.e adobe flash will not be supported in most chromium based browsers.
paul1149 wrote:
I like the idea of a built-in "prevent autostart". That, I think, would obviate any reliance on how Google screws up Chromium settings, as they are wont to do, in this regard.

This may be a html5 problem as it is difficult to prevent them from auto playing

analogfred

Post by analogfred »

In slimjet/pepperflash directory: pepflashplayer.dll
Rightclick property/details: description is shockwave flash, copyright adobe flash player, version is 18.0.0.160.
That exactly matches the previous flash version. How can pepperflash not be adobe flash?

Flash is upto .196 now. I'm not sure what the changes where, but expect exploitable as usual.

dev wrote:Slimjet should only update pepperflash which is nothing to do with adobe and they only update it when they release a updated version of the browser and google have updated pepperflash in their browser and slimjet is pretty fast in updating as quick as chrome/chromium releases.
If pepperflash is enabled in slimjet/chrome/Chromium etc they will only see the Pepper Flash Player and use it by default. If you only use a chromium based browser on your system you could just completely uninstall adobe flash, if you run other browsers is when you need adobe and don't forget come September NPAPI plugins i.e adobe flash will not be supported in most chromium based browsers.
paul1149 wrote:

This may be a html5 problem as it is difficult to prevent them from auto playing

analogfred

Post by analogfred »

And firefox nightly is adding an about:config toggle to disable html5 video autoplay.

smyl3210

Post by smyl3210 »

I found a way how to update included pepflash in slimjet. I fed up with the outdated one in slimjet especially if reading everywhere that old version contains critical bugs, and still haven't got any official flash update to slimjet...

So, if you updated the common windows version of flash to the newest already, you can locate its files probably under path: \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\
You should have pepflashplayer32_18_0_0_194.dll, manifest.json files here.
Close slimjet and rename its pepflashplayer.dll, manifest.json files to something else to keep backup of them if you need them later maybe, but don't think so that you will need them.
Copy pepflashplayer32_18_0_0_194.dll, manifest.json files from \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\ to your \Slimjet\PepperFlash\ directory and rename the dll to pepflashplayer.dll

analogfred

Post by analogfred »

Adobe has been sticking
pepflashplayer32_18_0_0_194.dll in c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash
and
pepflashplayer64_18_0_0_194.dll in c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash
On my computer for as long as I can remember with default install.
I grabbed the 32bit version from syswow64 directory and it worked as you posted.

Mr. Bryan

Post by Mr. Bryan »

I was also concerned with the out of date Flash...
So, I downloaded Chrome and used the installed Flash...and copied the two files over to the Slimjet folder...
and works..

Of course...I uninstalled it afterwards

rseilersj

Post by rseilersj »

v4.0.14.0 is out now with the ability to update Flash via:
chrome://components

Then you can check here and no longer see the warning about outdated Flash:
chrome://plugins

So, can someone explain why Flash is installed to Program Files when (per the last link) it's what's in Slimjet's profile dir that counts?

analogfred

Post by analogfred »

Mr. Bryan wrote:I was also concerned with the out of date Flash...
So, I downloaded Chrome and used the installed Flash...and copied the two files over to the Slimjet folder...
and works..

Of course...I uninstalled it afterwards
You know you can dl it straight from adobe right?