Memory leak?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Joel

Memory leak?

Post by Joel »

Not sure if this is a bug or just me, so I'm posting it here until I know more.

My daily work requires opening and closing multiple tabs (10-12 max), most of the time staying open for long periods. In recent updates I've noticed that after about 10 minutes or so, Slimjet becomes sluggish, and my laptop fan runs very high. It gets bad enough that I have to close Slimjet, wait for the fan to stop, and I can start over. But of course I have to stop again about 20 minutes later.

I do notice similar behavior with Chrome and Opera, but it's not nearly as bad. Has anyone else experienced this?
Not everyone is a genius like you; treat them accordingly.

treego14

Re: Memory leak?

Post by treego14 »

I think Chromium browsers as you say have this as a negative going for them. I guess I don't notice a difference this way between Slimjet and other Chromium browsers, though.

dev

Post by dev »

Does this setting (below) under Misc help any ? Make sure its ticked then set the minutes to what you want, i think mine is at 0.

Automatically optimize memory usage
Optimization period:minutes

treego14

Post by treego14 »

dev wrote:Does this setting (below) under Misc help any ? Make sure its ticked then set the minutes to what you want, i think mine is at 0.

Automatically optimize memory usage
Optimization period:minutes
Mine is set at 10. I don't understand what "Optimization period" means, though. If mine is set at 10, does that mean Slimjet only optimizes memory for 10 minutes?

treego14

Post by treego14 »

I just found this link, but I still don't fully understand it. http://www.slimjet.com/blog/automatical ... n-slimjet/

Joel

Post by Joel »

I'll experiment with that setting and see how it goes. Thanks.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

• Clear cache.
  • Check your extensions. Or better, create a clean profile for SJ and see how it behaves.
  • An ad blocker such as Ublock Origin might save resources too, though using too many filter lists can slow the browser (thanks, dev...).
  • You should also check other system issues such as startup progs and services (Start/Run/msconfig) and disk fragmentation levels.
  • If you're on Windows, keep open Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc), go to processes tab and monitor CPU usage. Sort by CPU to identify hogs.
  • Make sure your machine's air vents and fins are clear.

Joel

Post by Joel »

Thanks, paul.

All good suggestions if every browser was affected the same way. Where other browsers do have their moments of lag, it's never permanent and/or never as extreme as what I experience with Slimjet.

In fact, Slimjet has only 3 extensions installed, which I also use in other browsers.
I never use ad blockers.
msconfig, CPU usage, and other Windows specific diagnostics really wouldn't narrow it down any further, because the problem happens only with Slimjet. :)

The previously suggested setting for memory optimization hasn't made much difference, so I've disabled it to see what happens.

addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

Thanks for great suggestions.
I like your posts and your links.
:roll:

analogfred

Post by analogfred »

Theres an addon called the great suspender.
You can suspend tabs, manually (individually/mass), timed, or based on various paramaters. There's settings for adding exceptions (sites, in a text input field, etc).

For addblocking i use ublock origin, it seems to reduce memory consumption more that its competition.