Why do you need to complicate things for the user?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
siriusjack

Why do you need to complicate things for the user?

Post by siriusjack »

"Highlight a word ->Right click -> search on google" always worked fine, but now someone decided that it was just too easy... Now the panel opens up with the results. So now I always need to open a new tab to have a better view.
Onestly, who taught this was a good idea? At least give the user the possibility to choose...

Anonymosity

Re: Why do you need to complicate things for the user?

Post by Anonymosity »

It sounds like Google's usual shenanigans. They want to force ads on people and track them all over the internet. They have found a new way to do that. Certainly Ecosia does not do things like that. I decided to use that for a default search engine for Slimjet.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Anonymosity wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:39 am
It sounds like Google's usual shenanigans. They want to force ads on people and track them all over the internet. They have found a new way to do that. Certainly Ecosia does not do things like that. I decided to use that for a default search engine for Slimjet.

I never heard of Ecosia. I'll give that one a try.

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

Anonymosity wrote:
You can also use Qwant as a search engine, I use it as my default search engine: https://www.qwant.com/
Mr_Electro84 - From France
Bonne année ! - Happy new year !
Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Anonymosity wrote:
It sounds like Google's usual shenanigans. They want to force ads on people and track them all over the internet. They have found a new way to do that.
I don't think that in this case it's Google at all that's doing this. It certainly looks like it's just Slimjet that's using this sidebar thing for search results.
Because it's only when using Google as a search engine for Slimjet's right click menu that this sidebar is appearing. Using any other search engine opens a new tab with the search results. Also, when using right click "Search Google for ..." in Chrome, search results open in a new tab, not in any sidebar.
So it most likely is some (poor) design decision from Slimjet's developer(s)
Hopefully it can be made optional in future Slimjet versions

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

city_zen wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:21 am
Anonymosity wrote:
It sounds like Google's usual shenanigans. They want to force ads on people and track them all over the internet. They have found a new way to do that.
I don't think that in this case it's Google at all that's doing this. It certainly looks like it's just Slimjet that's using this sidebar thing for search results.
Because it's only when using Google as a search engine for Slimjet's right click menu that this sidebar is appearing. Using any other search engine opens a new tab with the search results. Also, when using right click "Search Google for ..." in Chrome, search results open in a new tab, not in any sidebar.
I checked and...no it's not a Slimjet related feature but a Google Chrome feature (which has been implemented in Chromium):
https://kulturegeek.fr/news-268878/goog ... -recherche
(Article in French, to be translated according to your means in English)

P-S: I use another search engine by default (Qwant), and I don't have the results opening in a side panel but in a separate tab
Mr_Electro84 - From France
Bonne année ! - Happy new year !
Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

city_zen

Post by city_zen »

Mr_Electro84 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am
city_zen wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:21 am
Anonymosity wrote:
I checked and...no it's not a Slimjet related feature but a Google Chrome feature (which has been implemented in Chromium):
https://kulturegeek.fr/news-268878/goog ... -recherche
(Article in French, to be translated according to your means in English)

P-S: I use another search engine by default (Qwant), and I don't have the results opening in a side panel but in a separate tab
Yes, I kind of knew about that feature, but I think it's a different thing
I very seldom use Chrome, so I've actually never used the "search results in a sidebar" feature
However, it looks like we are talking about two different things. One is the context menu search (Search "term" on Google) and another is the one implemented on Chrome, which works in another way. The one in Chrome lets you go back to the search results in the sidebar, after you clicked on one of the results and gone to another page. So, when using Chrome, it would work like this:
You search for a term on Google, let's say "slimjet". Google opens a page with the search results for "slimjet". Then you click on one of the search results, for example the first, and it takes you (probably) to Slimjet's home page. Instead of going back to look for other search results for "slimjet", you can open the sidebar on Chrome and it will display the search results for "slimjet", while keeping the main window with the search result you clicked on (for example, the home page of Slimjet)
It may be slightly different since, as I mentioned, I never really use it, but it seems that that's how it works
The other feature is the one we are discussing here: highlighting a term on a webpage, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Search "Term" on Google" from the context menu. When doing that on Chrome, it indeed opens a new tab with the search results, like it used to do on Slimjet. But when doing that on Slimjet, it now opens the search results in the sidebar instead of a new tab.
At least that's how it's working on my system, running latest versions of both Chrome and Slimjet
So Slimjet seems to be behaving differently from Chrome, regarding this feature

Hopefully, Slimjet can be made to go back to the previous behavior

Surprisingly (at least to me) Slimjet only does this while using Google as a search engine. When using other search engines and using the context menu search, results open in a new tab. I have no idea why.

Yes, I know there are other, maybe better, search engines. But it looks like the one you mentioned (Qwant) isn't available in my country. First time that I hear that a search engine is georestricted. But I can use Startpage, Duck Duck go, etc.

Sorry for the lengthy reply and the nested quotes, I wanted to describe the two features in detail

Contajen

Post by Contajen »

Just used this flag to disable search panel.
flags/#search-web-in-side-panel