Open search results in new tab instead of sidebar?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
city_zen

Open search results in new tab instead of sidebar?

Post by city_zen »

Hi,

I usually use the "Super drag and go" extension to quickly search for a word in the webpage I'm reading. I just select the word and drag it a few pixels and that opens a new tab with my search engine of choice displaying the results for that word(s)

However, every now and then I use the available option in Slimjet's context menu: Select the word, right click on it, select the "Seach for (word) in Google" (wording may be slightly different since I use Slimjet with a non-English locale)

If I remember correctly, this second method used to open a new tab with Google's search results for that word. Much like what I get with "Super Drag and go"

However, I've just used this second method and to my surprise the search results were opened in a sidebar. I'm sure there are people who like this behaviour, but I prefer the "open in new tab" alternative.
Am I correct to assume that this "sidebar" behaviour is fairly new?
Is there any setting to go back to the previous, "open search results from context menu search in a new tab", behaviour?
I think there must be, but I looked around and couldn't find it

Thanks

oftentired

Re: Open search results in new tab instead of sidebar?

Post by oftentired »

Well until someone spends more time than I did looking for an answer.

You can work-round the sidebar google results by clicking the "open in new tab" icon just next to the X at the upper right within the sidebar
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

city_zen

Post by city_zen »

oftentired wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:08 pm
Well until someone spends more time than I did looking for an answer.

You can work-round the sidebar google results by clicking the "open in new tab" icon just next to the X at the upper right within the sidebar
Thanks for your reply
Yes, I saw that I can do that, but it's one more step and (in my opinion) it shouldn't be necessary

Moreover, I just realized that the search results on the sidebar are not filtered by uBlock Origin. I can see Google's ads there, whereas with the "Open in new tab", search results are normally filtered by uBlock Origin. This is strange. Is Slimjet using another engine for that sidebar?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

city_zen wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:24 pm

However, every now and then I use the available option in Slimjet's context menu: Select the word, right click on it, select the "Seach for (word) in Google" (wording may be slightly different since I use Slimjet with a non-English locale)

If I remember correctly, this second method used to open a new tab with Google's search results for that word. Much like what I get with "Super Drag and go"

However, I've just used this second method and to my surprise the search results were opened in a sidebar. I'm sure there are people who like this behaviour, but I prefer the "open in new tab" alternative.
Am I correct to assume that this "sidebar" behaviour is fairly new?
Is there any setting to go back to the previous, "open search results from context menu search in a new tab", behaviour?
I think there must be, but I looked around and couldn't find it

Thanks
I'm a little confused.
My default search engine is Startpage.com.
When I highlight a word, right click, and then select "Search Startpage for ...", the results open in a new tab.
If I change my settings to make Google the default search engine, the results open in the sidebar.
Why would the behavior depend on the default search engine?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I tested each of the search engines lined up for selection in my settings at the top of the Omnibox section using that drop down selection box I went thru them one at a time for right click search and the only one that opened up Ask ai in the sidebar was google. The rest of them opened in a new tab. I like google, but I don't like the sidebar so until that gets sorted I'm switching default search engines.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

oftentired wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:33 pm
I like google, but I don't like the sidebar so until that gets sorted I'm switching default search engines.
I recommend Startpage.
"Startpage delivers Google search results via our proprietary personal data protection technology."

=Kukush=

Post by =Kukush= »

To display Google search results in the new tab you should disable "Search web in side panel" flag (//flags/#search-web-in-side-panel).