Hardware requirement?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
ranmamez

Hardware requirement?

Post by ranmamez »

Hello.
I'm trying to install slimjet latest release/version (4.0.7.1) onto an old pentium3 laptop, but it always crashes either at the end of the install process, either if I try to launch it, with a similar (or the same, I didn't check) error.
I screenshotted the error popup (I'm sorry but it's in italian, even tho you can get the error numbers), so to attach it here and show you.
Since I already tried Slimbrowser and SlimBoat (I'm using this one to post here actually) and they're working good, and since I know that SlimJet is Chrome based and that the Google browser won't support cpu older than p4/k8 due to sse2 lack, I was wondering if it's the same issue with this pc, since it's a p3 it lacks sse2 instructions support.
So the question: where can I find the real hw requirements for SlimJet?
Thank you in advance.

dev

Re: Hardware requirement?

Post by dev »

A English translated text from picture may help

ranmamez

Post by ranmamez »

"The exception unknown software exception (0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x0041b753"

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

ranmamez wrote:the Google browser won't support cpu older than p4/k8 due to sse2 lack, ... it's a p3 it lacks sse2 instructions support.
This is exactly the problem.

Slimjet is based on Chromium the same as Google Chrome.

ranmamez

Post by ranmamez »

oftentired wrote:This is exactly the problem.
Thank you for confirming.
I wonder why it's not specified somewhere, like in faqs or a page with the minimum requirements...

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

ranmamez wrote:
oftentired wrote:This is exactly the problem.
Thank you for confirming.
I wonder why it's not specified somewhere, like in faqs or a page with the minimum requirements...
The developers specify on the front webpage for the product that it is "powered by Blink" which is the browser engine used by the open source Chromium project. I am sure that they have good reason to avoid using the word Chromium or any similar word on their product webpage. Also, when you run the Slimjet program and click the Gear icon at the upper right and then click Help:About it specifies the Chromium version being used.

link to Chromium Project

ikar..us

Post by ikar..us »

ranmamez wrote:So the question: where can I find the real hw requirements for SlimJet?
Good question. Unanswered yet.

Also not about what latest processor and compiler optimizations, a more modern instruction set means for the 64bit SlimJet.
It's quoted from the Chromium blog, but even there I can't find anything in the developer ressources and build instructions.

Most software of all kind doesn't specify processor requirements.
Notable exception is the Pale Moon browser, which provides distinct builds for SSE, SSE2, Atom and AVX.

dev

Post by dev »

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?hl=en-GB gives you a few specs for chrome so i would imagine slimjet's requirements to be pretty much on par with them.

ikar..us

Post by ikar..us »

These few are only the kind of nebulous specs that most software projects give.
What does ’later‘ mean in the context of hardware? Time of manufacturing? Time of model release? Architecture generation?

By educated guess, one can assume that ’Pentium 4 or later‘ means that SSE2 instructions are used.
But the declaration ’later‘ isn't precise even for Intel. Think of the Pentium M, which is technically a 3M with added capabilities, but outperforms the 4M…
And ’later‘ is really wrong for other manufacturers.
Intel introduced SSE2 in 2000 and implemented it quickly in all new models, so it can be taken for granted in every non-nostalgist computer.
AMD released a model without SSE2 in December 2004, and distributed it for some time after. There are still some of them in productive use.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... discussion
rises the question. It confirms the assumption about SSE2.
But it assumes that 64bit isn't different, in spite of the announcement about more modern instructions.

Of course there is the possibility that it leverages advanced instructions, but doesn't require them.

Also surprising is the contentedness with XPsp2…
Last edited by ikar..us on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikar..us

Post by ikar..us »

In the source there are interesting findings:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... base/simd/ has variants with different instruction sets up to SSSE3.

But https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=100462 reports that some SSSE3 routines are buggy and won't be fixed, but remain deactivated.