Browser version

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
looking man

Browser version

Post by looking man »

Who uses which version of the Slimjet browser? And for what reason?
Is this the latest version or not?
Windows 7 x64 Slimjet 29.0.3 x32. Let it be for now.

looking man

Re: Browser version

Post by looking man »

With each new version, Google breaks more and more useful things in the code. Those. assemblies become less and less functional.
On the other hand, older builds stop opening some sites. Which are designed for the new Chrome kernel. And written by particularly idiotic programmers.
One of the more normal recent Chrome kernels is 86. But builds of browsers on this core are already starting to become obsolete.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I am up to date on Slimjet, Opera, and Firefox, having abandoned Brave for being broken.
I have them set up in parallel, so I can switch at will, but Slimjet is my current system default.

That is the approach to take, so you don't have to go crazy looking for a substitute when something breaks.
I already left and later came back to Slimjet as my default browser over various issues now 100% resolved.

I see you have Win 7 and the last version of Slimjet before I temporarily switched to Brave.
The whole story is somewhere or other already buried somewhere in the form.

You should be OK to update to the latest Slimjet. For now (37.0.2.0).

There is no one perfect browser, so the best approach is have a collection with at least one non-chrome Browser.

looking man

Post by looking man »

Passenger, tell me, does version 37.0.2.0 work well? Is it well tested before being released?
I know that not all Slimjet versions turn out "smooth". Version 30 had many bugs.
Are there any nuances in version 37.0.2.0?

looking man

Post by looking man »

For a long time, probably before version 16, Slimjet was my main browser. Then Cent Browser went. Then 360 Extreme Explorer...
All chromobrowsers degrade after Chrome, unfortunately. Only the Chinese are trying to dig deep into the core.
But now there is a trend towards mobile software. And desktop browsers become secondary...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

I'm not a dev so I don't know how they test it, but I haven't noticed any obvious bugs recently.
A bit of a memory hog, like all Chromium browsers of course.

You can always go back to your earlier version if you don't like the new one.

Just make a copy of your profile (using the file system not the browser) just in case something goes wrong.
Very likely that will not be needed, but do it to be on the safe side.

I make copies of the profiles of all my active browsers once a week in any case, compress them and save them to the cloud.
Just a precaution.

looking man

Post by looking man »

Unfortunately, all versions of Slimjet after 29 have this problem. They take a long time to close if "Clear Browser on Exit" is enabled. And all versions after 31, when the browser is closes, show the form with the hoop spinning.
Version 29 closes instantly.
And this situation has not been corrected for a long time. It is not good.
Last edited by looking man on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

looking man

Post by looking man »

In two versions of the browser, extension icons could not be moved with the mouse on the omnibox panel.
Two versions had a corrupted installer.
Apparently the developers do not test their browser at all (including on Windows 7)
Sometimes betas are declared as stable versions right away. And nothing gets fixed.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Having been in IT myself, I will say the Slimjet devs must necessarily do testing, but definitely not enough regression testing.
And the Google Chrome people have officially stopped testing with Win 7.

If you want to get away from Chromium altogether, current Firefox is pretty good, but my advice is don't delete your other browsers (just in case).

looking man

Post by looking man »

Passenger, of course they should, I do not argue. But for some reason, Slimjet is haunted by many bugs from version to version. All the work after 14-15-16 versions comes down only to changing the engine and regressions. Nothing new. It seems that there is simply no one to make a browser. And Google is going downhill, and everyone is following it together. Each next version is worse than the previous one.