How to prevent extensions from updating?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Anonymosity

How to prevent extensions from updating?

Post by Anonymosity »

Is there any way to stop extensions from updating automatically? The extension Get CRX just updated to a new version which does not work with Slimjet any more. The previous version does work. If there happens to be a way to stop that update, I could just keep the older version.

Passenger

Re: How to prevent extensions from updating?

Post by Passenger »

Just chiming in.

I too would like yo know this.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I got some advice from the Vivaldi forum site. With some additions to that, I managed to stop GetCRX from updating.
To prevent updating, modify manifest.json for extension to remove the Google update URL. Lock manifest.json and lock the extension's folder.
That prevents GetCRX from updating and it is still working.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Anonymosity wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:29 pm
I got some advice from the Vivaldi forum site. With some additions to that, I managed to stop GetCRX from updating.
To prevent updating, modify manifest.json for extension to remove the Google update URL. Lock manifest.json and lock the extension's folder.
That prevents GetCRX from updating and it is still working.
Good job Anonymosity :) I think you have provided the solution that usually works.

If a user cannot figure out which JSON file belongs to which extension. Open Extensions. (Click on Customize and Control Slimjet gear icon at upper right, click on More tools, click on Extensions). Then at the upper right of the extensions window toggle developer mode on. This will reveal the "ID" information for the extension which is the folder name where the JSON file resides.

The JSON file will be in your Slimjet user profile. The file path may look similar to this:
C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Local\Slimjet\User Data\[Profile]\Extensions\hmbmmdjlcdediglgfcdkhinjdelkiock

Don't count me as an expert on this. But, I'm thinking, a common problem with this method will be changes you make may be undone by the profile synchronization. So if you use the synchronization feature. You should explore ways to stop the sync from replacing the JSON file. Possibly the easiest way might be to make the JSON file read only. You may also want to search for the synchronization copy of the JSON file and deal with that one as well.

One word of caution. You are advised to copy the extension folder to a safe location before making any changes. So if you make any accidental flubs you can just copy back to it and start over.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11