Request: Scrollbar width

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Request: Scrollbar width

Post by paul1149 »

I have a friend whose eyesight is not terribly good. I never understood google's move toward narrow scrollbars. They're hard enough for me to navigate, but for her it's very difficult. It would be a huge plus for people with special access needs to be able to control the width of the scrollbar.

Thanks,
Paul

dev

Re: Request: Scrollbar width

Post by dev »

Yeah great idea, I've use this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nfo-dialog because i hated google's narrow bars and the lack of arrows so a inbuilt feature would be better.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Hey dev,

Thanks. I actually used to use that, but forgot about it. It definitely is an improvement, but it doesn't increase SB width. Google's push to minimize the scrollbar is unfathomable.

BW,
Paul

dev

Post by dev »

There use to be one that you could use custom css to make the scrollbar wider or thinner but i cannot remember its name, i have used zig scroll bar in the past which gives a wider bar but in green or in Windows you can globally set your preferred width for scroll bars. All apps should then respect this setting and use it, not override it whenever they feel like it.

Again tho a inbuilt feature would be far better.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I looked into .css manipulation of the scrollbar, but it doesn't seem too reliable. There are add-ons (J Query) you can give the system (or maybe it's server-side, not sure), but it's too involved, and I'm not sure how well it works.

I know you can change the SBs at advanced Display properties in Windows, but google in its wisdom has overridden that in Chrome. What on earth were they thinking of?

I don't like accumulating extensions, since it's a recipe for conflicts and resource usage,so inbuilt would indeed be better!

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

While I'm on the subject of ease of access, one other common problem is the penchant of so many sites - or perhaps this is another google "feature", to use grayscale font color rather than black, apparently in an attempt to soften the look of web pages. That's nice, but it's a disaster for those with poor eyesight. There's an extension called Darken Text which rectifies this, but it doesn't always work and it takes up toolbar space and has to be invoked for every page. Some inbuilt control, if possible, would be nice.

NewChrissy

Post by NewChrissy »

Try the High Contrast extension for black text instead of gray text:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... lhdjlikmph

And look at the code (or just use it as is) in the Scrollbar diet extension (Makes scrollbars thin and orange.)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ekjpfimabb

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Thanks. It was easy to use scrollbardiet to widen the scrollbar, and to change the color to what I wanted. Much appreciated.