Is Development for SlimBrowser dead?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Captain_Obvious

Is Development for SlimBrowser dead?

Post by Captain_Obvious »

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if SlimBrowser is dead. It's been nearly a full year since the last release, and nobody answers any questions in the SlimBrowser forums.

oftentired

Re: Is Development for SlimBrowser dead?

Post by oftentired »

It is an interesting question. But your facts are in error.

• The most recent stable release was version 33 on 12/22/21 which is less than 3 months ago.
• It is not unusual for a lengthy period to pass between version releases. And, it is not unusual for the developer to remain silent and not respond to inquiries that are sent to him.

• Regarding this forum. Questions are answered in this forum when answers are able to be provided. As this is a user-to-user forum it is supported by Slimjet users when they participate by viewing the forum posts and from time to time Reply with a suggestion or solution. This means that you cannot gauge the "life" of Slimjet based on forum activity as it relies on the users not the developer for forum activity. This forum is rarely what I would describe as "active". Frankly, this forum barely exists from the perspective that users provide solutions to problems. Mostly, users are describing problems.

The best test of Slimjet being dead or abandoned is going to be the continuation of the internet domains related to Flashpeak Inc. and the continuation of the servers that this forum and his website are hosted on. If he fails to pay for one or more of the domains or if he, or circumstance, shuts down the servers for a period that exceeds a reasonable period for server maintenance issue resolution. Those would be indications that Slimjet is "dead". If both of those were to occur, I would allow at least 12 months to pass before coming to a final conclusion on the question. Why do I say that? Because Flashpeak is a one man operation. And shit happens to people. Or even, occasionally, good things happen and they fall into lots of money or find someone to love and go on a long vacation. And then after a while they get it back together and things get back on track. So before I will entertain a conclusion that Slimjet is dead. The domains will have to fail and the associated websites will have to go offline for a lengthy period.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Captain_Obvious

You are confusing SlimJet with Slimbrowser. I wasn't asking about SlimJet or its development. I was asking about Slimbrowser: the FireFox port.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Right you are.

I thought Flashpeak has stated somewhere that he is no longer updating Slimbrowser. I'll look around for it a bit.

EDIT: A quick look and search here and there doesn't give it up. However, I think you may be correct, but I have nothing from Flashpeak to point at.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Captain_Obvious

oftentired wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:45 pm
Right you are.

I thought Flashpeak has stated somewhere that he is no longer updating Slimbrowser. I'll look around for it a bit.

EDIT: A quick look and search here and there doesn't give it up. However, I think you may be correct, but I have nothing from Flashpeak to point at.
Oh the irony. A month later and an update is posted. :D

https://www.slimbrowser.net/en/dlpage.php

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Any particular reason to favor one over the other?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Slimbrowser wraps around the Internet Explorer engine which MS was phasing out and, as these things occasionally go slowly, is finally dropping this year in favor of Edge. so the dev was looking around for different ways to go and decided to use the chromium engine. Slimbrowser remains a decent browser, but I prefer Slimjet.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Mr_Electro84

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

oftentired wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:44 pm
Slimbrowser wraps around the Internet Explorer engine which MS was phasing out and, as these things occasionally go slowly, is finally dropping this year in favor of Edge. so the dev was looking around for different ways to go and decided to use the chromium engine. Slimbrowser remains a decent browser, but I prefer Slimjet.
Then there is also the fact that Chromium development is more flexible (which is less the case with Trident (Internet Explorer)), and the fact that the developer was forced to migrate all SlimBrowser from Trident to Gecko, which is discouraging, something I can understand (e.g. when you have built your program on a framework you love and the developer of the said framework announces the end of support, or worse the withdrawal of its release, the only thing you want to do is to cry! This is what happened with Adobe Flash).
This partly explains the slowed down development of SlimBrowser, moreover the developer of Gecko (Mozilla), is not in very good health, and is therefore not safe from a forthcoming closure!
Mr_Electro84 - From France
Bonne année ! - Happy new year !
Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:19 pm
Oh the irony. A month later and an update is posted. :D
But the update does nothing to address the bookmark side panel problem.
Last edited by oftentired on Wed May 18, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Gave you a proper quote

AllanHigdon

Post by AllanHigdon »

I noticed that an update to SlimBrowser was released on Dec 23, version 17.0.2.0, so I thought I'd give it a try.
It wasn't too bad, once you get used to the GUI for Gecko type browsers.
The main issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be any support these days.
The Technical FAQ link doesn't work any more, and I wasn't even able to register on the Forum.