Want Slimjet to go to version 99 of Chromium (Chrome)? Calm down!

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Mr_Electro84

Want Slimjet to go to version 99 of Chromium (Chrome)? Calm down!

Post by Mr_Electro84 »

Hello,
To all those who want Slimjet to go to version 99, it is necessary to calm down your desire, lar the changes made to chrome are not negligible!
Among these functions, the generalization of the Manifest V3 API (controlled Api) which will limit the number of rules to 30,000 against 100,000, the AdBockers extensions are of course concerned, which will limit their functions, there is also the depreciation of chrome.webRequest in favor of chrome.declarativeNetRequest function which will be more restrictive!
So your extensions such as ABP, uBlock Origin, will not work anymore (at least not like before)!
So it is necessary that the developer (FlashPeak) studies carefully this case before Slimjet passes to version 99 of Chomium

- EN : https://www.xda-developers.com/google-c ... nsion-api/
- FR : https://www.clubic.com/pro/entreprises/ ... ateur.html
Mr_Electro84 - From France
Bonne année ! - Happy new year !
Windows 11 - Slimjet 42 (64 bit)

rseilersj

Re: Want Slimjet to go to version 99 of Chromium (Chrome)? Calm down!

Post by rseilersj »

Just to avoid confusion, Manifest v2 will continue to be supported, even in Chrome, through the rest of the year.

Also, I haven't heard that any of the major alternative browsers (Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, etc) have agreed to jettison it from the Chromium that they all use even then, and Slimjet certainly won't. So, it's not really going to matter to anyone except Chrome users.

As for v99 (or 98, 97, 96, 95), this browser never has and never will keep up. It's not the goal and it wouldn't even be possible if it was, for what I assume is a one-man shop. Anyone really looking for the latest security fixes (I notice someone else here posts about most of them, for some reason, as if that will matter) is really in the wrong place.

Captain_Obvious

Post by Captain_Obvious »

rseilersj wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:33 pm
Just to avoid confusion, Manifest v2 will continue to be supported, even in Chrome, through the rest of the year.

Also, I haven't heard that any of the major alternative browsers (Opera, Vivaldi, Brave, etc) have agreed to jettison it from the Chromium that they all use even then, and Slimjet certainly won't. So, it's not really going to matter to anyone except Chrome users.

As for v99 (or 98, 97, 96, 95), this browser never has and never will keep up. It's not the goal and it wouldn't even be possible if it was, for what I assume is a one-man shop. Anyone really looking for the latest security fixes (I notice someone else here posts about most of them, for some reason, as if that will matter) is really in the wrong place.
You'd be 100% correct. Vivaldi has no plans to go to Chrome 99 anytime soon. In fact, they may just stay on Chrome 98 for the rest of the year. It isn't uncommon for Vivaldi to "skip" a few versions before upgrading to a later version. So it would be unfair to judge SlimJet much more harshly than someone would judge Vivaldi, Opera, or Brave.

Also, just because the browser is a lower version number does NOT necessarily mean it's less secure than the latest version. After all, that's literally the concept behind Firefox Extended Support Release. The version of Firefox ESR is (currently) v90, yet the latest version of "normal" Firefox is v98. Yet, the v90 of Firefox ESR isn't any less secure than v98 of "normal" Firefox.

It's easy to make security patches for currently existing browser versions by simply compiling only that code into the old browser. SlimJet can be just as secure as Chrome v99 without actually being Chrome 99.

schar0770

Post by schar0770 »

It would be great to be able to be detected as a newer version however, if we can get sec patches ported back and compiled, as per this example. But i bet being detected by software compatibility checkers as up-to-date isn't a good idea overall.
Nevertheless, it would be really great to see keeping up with latest Extended or Stable releases, even for v98, like 98.0.4758.141

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Vivaldi is already at Chrome 100. I just checked its user-agent. I am not seeing any problem with uBlock Origin.

rseilersj

Post by rseilersj »

That makes sense, since there's nothing relevant about v100 and this issue.

Manfifest v3 isn't going to be a potential issue for anyone this year. Google has already laid out the timetable.