Just a couple questions? No harm meant!

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
mooseonline

Just a couple questions? No harm meant!

Post by mooseonline »

Does Slimjet actually stays up to date with the latest current version of chrome?
Also,does Slimjet"stealing your privacy" And spy on you? Like Chrome?
Just trying to get a better feel for Slimjet Browser!

Thanks!

oftentired

Re: Just a couple questions? No harm meant!

Post by oftentired »

mooseonline wrote:Does Slimjet actually stays up to date with the latest current version of chrome?

Thanks!
Your questions are welcome here.

As far as I know the developers have every intention of keeping up with new Chromium build releases. Slimjet beta release 1.0.9 migrated to Chromium 35.0.1916.114 which is evidence of their intentions.

Slimjet makes no effort nor has any code added which is intended to gather your information or "spy" on you. One major aspect of Slimjet that sets it apart from google Chrome is that Slimjet does not make any effort to spy on you. It does not gather your personal data other than what is necessitated by your own requests.

One good example of what I mean by, "necessitated " is the weather information for your zip code. The browser has to obtain your zip code from your own input of it and send it to the weather website for the correct weather data information. However, your zip code information is not fed to any tracking servers by Slimjet it is only used for your weather report information. Of course I have no doubt the weather website being accessed is keeping track of getting a hit for such and such zip code but I can't really see that as spying since the information is not associated with any information to identify you and, of course, it is only done at your own request when you setup to receive weather information using your zip code.

Another example would be the cookies. If you visit a website that makes a request for information standard to such "cookie" requests and you don't have it deliberately blocked by browsing using an incognito window Slimjet assumes you are willing to allow the collection of the data being asked for by website. However, the data collected is going to be restricted to whatever is allowed by the Chromium or Blink engine underneath the hood of Slimjet. The additional code added by Flashpeak developers will not change, enhance, or increase that data gathering in any way.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Just a couple questions? No harm meant!

Post by flashpeak »

We try to stay up to date as close as possible. But we wouldn't be able to stay up to date on the same day when Chrome makes a new release. Our goal is not to fall behind by more than three months in terms of release schedule.

All the tracking features associated to Google in Chrome are not implemented in Chromium and thus not existent in Slimjet.
With that said, Slimjet collects a few fully anonymous usage statistics to help improve the software. Our mainly use it to measure how popular a particular feature is. If it's popular, we will put more efforts to make it better. If it's not popular, we'd rather not spend too much time on it.

If you don't feel comfortable with it anyway, you can turn off such statistics collection by turning off the option "Send anonymous usage statistics to help improve Slimjet" in the privacy section of settings. I hope this clears up your questions.

mooseonline wrote:Does Slimjet actually stays up to date with the latest current version of chrome?

Thanks!
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.