Slimjet gets (abysmally) sluggish the longer it stays open.

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
FollowsTheWay

Slimjet gets (abysmally) sluggish the longer it stays open.

Post by FollowsTheWay »

I need help.

My Slimjet gets painfully sluggish the longer the browser remains open. When I re-start the browser it seems better at first, but starts to degrade rather rapidly, to the point that it is unusable (requiring another re-start).

I typically have about 10 tabs open, and have noticed 25-30 background processes running concurrently ("Flashpeak Slimjet") in Task Manager. I do not know if this is a problem or not, or just normal. I am just reporting it.

This began "randomly" happening in Version 29 several months ago and I never knew why (I upgraded to Version 30.0.4 yesterday and it is still happening; though, again, it was "peppy" at first).

I am using Windows 8.1, 64-bit OS (but using 32-bit Slimjet), with 8GB RAM. Typically 40% or so of RAM is being used when I check Task Manager during the sluggishness.

Everything is slooow within the browser, once the degradation kicks in over time. E.g., switching between tabs can take many seconds, like it is frozen. Checking email is painful, even typing this right now is in slow motion.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have several extensions added on....is there a way to re-start Slimjet with them all disabled to see if that's the problem? Any other suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Passenger

Re: Slimjet gets (abysmally) sluggish the longer it stays open.

Post by Passenger »

My advice is to back up to version 29.0.3.0 and stay there until the Slimjet folks explicitly address the problem.
That version works just fine and has all the virtues that got me to switch to Slimjet in the first place.

I have already reported in some technical detail what is going wrong and still have hopes they will straighten it all out.

The underlying problem in my opinion was lack of regression testing before even beta release.