Browser inventory. General discussion

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Passenger

Re: Browser inventory. General discussion

Post by Passenger »

Just went with the offline installer and it reinstalled Version 35.0.1.0 -- maybe the installer for the new one isn't staged correctly.

64 bit, BTW.

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The Mac one worked, so maybe it is only a problem with Windows.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It prompted me to update again (the regular way) so I went ahead.

Nope.

chrome://settings/help still reporting version 35.0.1.0

My guess is the new version is OK, but the devs have not staged it correctly.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Back on track, really I should have discussed the bug fixes in the bug forum.

Current inventory:

Slimjet, native ad blocking with a few custom entries.
Brave, native ad blocking ditto, all the cryptocurrency nonsense disabled and the Tor feature turned off.

Opera
Firefox
Tor
Lynx

Not all used every day. I'm a collector. :mrgreen:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Latest HTML5 test results (out of 555 points)

https://html5test.com/
  • Slimjet -- 528
  • Brave -- 523
  • Opera -- 526
  • Firefox -- 498
:geek:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Applause to Slimjet YouTube download. :mrgreen:

First download since upgrade to latest version. Easier than ever to download just the sound.
I don't think I have ever downloaded a full video with pictures except to throw away the picture portion.
Old public domain classical music performances whose "video" is a still of the album cover mostly.

Before: Download as webm.
Throw away the webm (leaving the mp3) after the complete rigmarole of integration and conversion.

The video and audio are dowloaded in files of an intermediate type before the integration takes place automatically as a separate resource intensive step (which can fail if you're doing too much else on your machine).

Now: Download as webm.
Go to the turbocharged download manager and pause downloading the webm, leaving the mp3 still downloading.
When the mp3 is finished downloading, You have what you want without an additional conversion step.

Then just clean up turbocharged download manager by deleting both entries from the list.
The necessary end user fiddling is slightly more, but the deed is done so much faster.

An option just to download the mp3 would be nice, but not complaining.

gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

I'm going through Browser hell right now. I've been a Firefox fangirl for at least 20 years but recently (the last 3 months or so) it's slow as molasses. Tried downgrading but can't pin down a version that's faster, even with default profiles and settings.

Old Firefox variants (Palemoon, Waterfox etc.) are even slower, and don't work with Lastpass anymore. Dealbreaker.

Slimjet (portable mode) has been my backup when websites don't want to work in Firefox, mainly because of all of my privacy settings, I admit. So recently I've set up a couple of nice Slimjet profiles and thought I'd make it my default browser. Alas, Slimjet keeps resetting all of my addons and settings when I move it to another computer.... and often just because. Very very annoying when I've spent hours getting things just right. So on to the next. Grrrrrr!

Vivaldi is just a big crash machine. Unusable.

Brave.... I don't remember. I just know it annoys me, but it's a good backup I guess.

Edge - Just, No! Need I explain?

On to Opera I guess... Sigh!

...and thanks, guys, for the tip about the Youtube downloads. Didn't know Slimjet could do that.

Also, I'm in the market for a Chromium variant that isn't going to disable ad blockers when that happens. Don't know if Slimjet will??

gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

doctorwizz wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Cent browser is fully portable. Didn't used to be when I first started using it. But now I can copy that folder to another PC, or boot from another partition, and it is fully logged in to Google and all my websites that were logged in last use.
Thanks, @doctorwizz! I will download and try it now.

doctorwizz

Post by doctorwizz »

gggirlgeek wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:50 pm
doctorwizz wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Cent browser is fully portable. Didn't used to be when I first started using it. But now I can copy that folder to another PC, or boot from another partition, and it is fully logged in to Google and all my websites that were logged in last use.
Thanks, @doctorwizz! I will download and try it now.
Ohhh, They finally released a newer version of Cent
https://static.centbrowser.com/win_beta/5.0.1002.182/