Upgrading portable Slimjet version

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Lapingaman

Upgrading portable Slimjet version

Post by Lapingaman »

When upgrading portable versions this is what the Slimjet page advises "If you are upgrading from a previous version of Slimjet portable, extract the new version into the same folder as the previous version to pick up the existing settings".

What we are not warned about is once we extract the new to the old we lose all passwords and favourites from the previous version. Common sense really and a costly mistake. Slimjet people should make that abundantly clear.

The Red Zone

Re: Upgrading portable Slimjet version

Post by The Red Zone »

I'm in the habit of making a copy of my current Slimjet portable before updating. That way, if something is wrong, I just restore my previous version. (I do this with all my portable apps.)

I haven't had any problems losing data or settings by updating my portable the way you described. I don't save any passwords so I can't compare this point. What do you mean by "favorites"?

dev

Post by dev »

It also applies to the regular installer not just portable versions, here's what i do viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115 and " favorites" is a another word for bookmarks.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

You have to directly extract from the new zip archive into the folder where the existing version sits.

Here is a common mistake done by some people. Extract the new version into a different directory. Give it a test run. And then copy the entire folder to the folder where the existing version sits. You can't give the new version a run and then overwrite. When you run it for first time, a blank set of data will be created. It will overwrite your existing data if you do the copy after a test run.
Lapingaman wrote:When upgrading portable versions this is what the Slimjet page advises "If you are upgrading from a previous version of Slimjet portable, extract the new version into the same folder as the previous version to pick up the existing settings".

What we are not warned about is once we extract the new to the old we lose all passwords and favourites from the previous version. Common sense really and a costly mistake. Slimjet people should make that abundantly clear.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.