Google sync taking forever

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Joel

Google sync taking forever

Post by Joel »

I just installed Slimjet on laptop that never had it before, and it's taking more than an hour to sync my Google data. Is this normal?
Not everyone is a genius like you; treat them accordingly.

oftentired

Re: Google sync taking forever

Post by oftentired »

I believe this is dependent upon the google servers. Browser makes itself known when you login, at that point the rest of the actions will be initiated by the google side. Even mighty google cannot possibly do business with every computer at the same time. So I've no doubt they have established a rather routine polling process that goes through the connected computers like a wave. After the initial handshake and verification and likely a random server farm assignment.

First wave
Google server says, "What's up?"
Responding Computers A. Nothing has changed here B. Got some changes here to upload C. Hey dude long time no see, I've not been used for a while got some changes to compare and maybe download update D. Dude what's up I'm new here what do I do next?

Second wave
Google server says, A. Yo bro nice to see you have a nice day B. Right be with you in a minute I'm busy C. Dang man you got some dust bunnies to shake out give me a minute to get back to you D. Crap man I've got to elevate you to another server hold on.

Third wave
Google server says, ...... I think you get it. Now I made all that up just for fun but I'm guessing its handled somewhat like that. And the servers are doing this for thousands, likely hundreds of thousands of computers logged in at any given time. It's free so resources will be slightly stingy. Gonna take a few minutes :P
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Joel

Post by Joel »

LOL - understood. I've never had it take more than a couple minutes with Chrome or other Chrome-based browsers, so it's weird. It's been 5 hours now. When I first connected, two folders appeared in my bookmarks bar within seconds. Since then, nothing. I even closed Slimjet for a while and reopened, but no further progress since. So I dunno... :?

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

They could be taking that long to snoop through all your stuff. They are nosy!

Joel

Post by Joel »

Anonymosity wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm
They could be taking that long to snoop through all your stuff. They are nosy!
haha... I think something is stuck. It still says syncing, and nothing is happening. 10.5 hours and counting....

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

that seems a bit off, yes, way too long.

I would log off and then log back in. And also check your sync settings something may be amiss there.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11