Slimjet is now unable to download any Youtube videos

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
FrizzleFry

Slimjet is now unable to download any Youtube videos

Post by FrizzleFry »

A few days ago I used Slimjet to download a Youtube video. When I clicked the download video button Slimjet asked to download and install some transcoding program. I allowed the download/install and Slimjet downloaded the video creating two files a webm and and mp3.

Now Slimjet is unable to play any Youtube videos. When a I click on any all I get is a blank area with a play button that does nothing.

I've looked for a way to uninstall the transcoding thing but I see no trace of it. Not in extensions in Slimjet or in Apps in Windows.

I forced Slimjet to create a new profile by renaming the User Data folder and the fresh profile is able to play Youtube videos. So the problem seems to be whatever got installed in the original profile.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Slimjet but the problem persists.

How do I back out the install of the transcoder for the video downloader?

oftentired

Re: Slimjet is now unable to download any Youtube videos

Post by oftentired »

FrizzleFry wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:50 pm
Now Slimjet is unable to play any Youtube videos. When a I click on any all I get is a blank area with a play button that does nothing.
See This Topic which has a possible solution for you
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

FrizzleFry

Post by FrizzleFry »

Thanks. The solution in that thread did the trick.

I still think it's a little weird that I can find no trace of the transcoder software that was installed but since it does not seem to be what was causing the problem I'll let it go for now.

flobou5783

Post by flobou5783 »

I've had this problem too after upgrading from 25 to 26.0.3 (right after the update).
Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit.
Facebook videos also do not play anymore.

I tried downloading a YouTube video and install the transcoder in doing so; problem still there.
I also tried activating the setting "Disable reading from HTML5 canvas"; problem still there.

Then I updated to 26.0.4, and after re-opening Slimjet I was prompted to download libffmpeg.so on github because of copyright issues on mp4 format.
I followed the instructions, restarted Slimjet and now it works fine!

I remember having had to do the same trick a few years ago for another Slimjet version (18 maybe?).

Maxfyingthehouse

Post by Maxfyingthehouse »

You can use 9Youtubetomp3 or VideosCat Online video downloader as alternatvies. They are online tools. no need to install any thing. And free, most of all.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Listening to a YouTube video right now (as background music).

Downloaded one two days ago.

Maybe one of your extensions is blocking something?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Passenger wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:21 am
Listening to a YouTube video right now (as background music).

Downloaded one two days ago.

Maybe one of your extensions is blocking something?
This is an old topic, the user in front of you should not have posted.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11