Password saving issue in recent versions

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Lapingaman

Password saving issue in recent versions

Post by Lapingaman »

Hi all,

I don't know if it's happening to other users but since updating to newer versions of Slimjet (up to 3.0.3.0) it does not save passwords any more so am back to trusty v2.1.6.0. Any feedback much appreciated.

mythras_

Re: Password saving issue in recent versions

Post by mythras_ »

This is still happening to me as well - seems that all authentication information is deleted after each Slimjet restart even in 4.0.6.0 in windows 7 and 8 X86 and X64 versions, for the last few months

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I would suggest using the LastPass extension. Very convenient, cross-browser, cross-machine, cross-platform, master password.

mythras_

Post by mythras_ »

Excellent suggestion Paul, but alas have been using it for years, but I've got so much 2 factor authentication setup: lastpass, google. et al, that it becomes an inconvenience of a minute or two, and even though i realize this is a luxury problem this used to work in slimjet: is it a problem for you as well?

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I don't use dual factor. Are you saying LastPass loses data or continually logs out?

mythras_

Post by mythras_ »

Im saying that Slimjet has recently for me even after reinstalling, clearing cache, changing cache folder, adding profiles et al: for example, when after restarting the browser it loses all cookies of me being authenticated into this website and i have to relogin, whereas before that was not an issue, nor is it an issue in any other browser that doesnt clear cookies after exiting browser.

Lapingaman

Slimjet's Password saving nightmare

Post by Lapingaman »

I have used many browsers and slimjet is one I've kept as one of my favourites but not as an everyday browser because of just one very good reason (and a cosmetic one). The good news is the welcoming number of options (including security) it offers from the main 'Settings' menu, the integrated flash player that just works flawlessly (at least in my experience) across any page I visit. Lastly, the thoughtful YouTube (video/audio) downloading integration. Full credit for all that!

The bad news is the under-developed and inconsistent password saving option that slimjet and most other Chrome/Chromium based browsers offer. It's a total let down. Sometimes it saves passwords, other times it forgets it has saved previous passwords and also forget about asking slimjet to save passwords for different user-names from the same email provider, it's a definite no no!. For password saving there is only one browser (and those that use the same rendering engine) which has done it perfectly, unequivocally and consistently: Firefox. Period.

The cosmetic reason is simply that the themes on offer don't look exactly as the previews. Also no matter what theme you use it's the same GUI look unlike Firefox which can be changed almost beyond recognition. It's called real choices.

I've tried different Slimjet versions up to the most current one and all versions have the same issue, just awful at saving passwords. I am sure Flashpeak Slimjet developers have the necessary skills to rectify this most irritating aspect of Slimjet....but are they listening?