Difficulty in opening URLs from other apps

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
one_beerhunter

Difficulty in opening URLs from other apps

Post by one_beerhunter »

After considerable effort to get Slimjet recognized as my default browser anytime I try to open a link in libreoffice or sketchup (running under WINE). Slimjet opens but only to my homepage. (www.startpage.com) My email client (thunderbird) refuses to acknowledge slimjet and opens links in Google Chrome. When slimjet is not my default browser thunderbird still opens links in chrome, but LO and SU opens the links properly in firefox. ????
How might I configure slimjet to accept these links, or do I need to configure something in the applications themselves.
Just hopeful there is a simple (IE: check this ) type of answer...

oftentired

Re: Difficulty in opening URLs from other apps

Post by oftentired »

I don't know which of these actions would finally resolve the issue but I would take them on my box with this problem

uninstall google chrome

then
even if your running an admin account, use a right click and select "Run as administrator", to reinstall the latest version of Slimjet

during the admin elevated installation of Slimjet select the option to make Slimjet your default browser and also choose to run the browser

give the browser a minute to completely display the active page before you shut it down

if you still want google chrome install google chrome normally and be sure to deselect a choice to make it default

one_beerhunter

Post by one_beerhunter »

oftentired>>> I am also often tired. LOL

To clarify my original post, I am running PCLinuxOS 64, not windows... Yet the issue seems to be related to slimjet, as the browser does open when selecting a URL/link from another application. It just fails to open the link, so I suspect something is not configured in slimjet to accept the incoming link. Does that make sense?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

yes but I'm not capable with Linux : (