Slimjet startup

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
VonFraunkenschteen.

Slimjet startup

Post by VonFraunkenschteen. »

Just installed Slimjet and very happy with it. I am experiencing an issue though. Every time I open the browser I almost immediately get a pop-up that tells me Nero Express 11 is attempting to install and then it stops and gives a Error 1706 message. I do not have Nero on my computer. Can anybody help me with this? I took a screenshot but I don't see a way of attaching it. Thanks.

sleeper10

Re: Slimjet startup

Post by sleeper10 »

I don't know if it will help, but if you're on Windows try running ccleaner.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

VonFraunkenschteen. wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Just installed Slimjet and very happy with it. I am experiencing an issue though. Every time I open the browser I almost immediately get a pop-up that tells me Nero Express 11 is attempting to install and then it stops and gives a Error 1706 message. I do not have Nero on my computer. Can anybody help me with this? I took a screenshot but I don't see a way of attaching it. Thanks.
Do you have a CD in your CD driver? If you do, take it out.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

VonFraunkenschteen.

Thanks for the suggestions. Running CCleaner did not solve the problem (although I use it regularly) and my disc tray is empty. I have access to four browsers (Slimjet, IE, Google Chrome & Waterfox) and it is only with Slimjet that I get this pop-up trying to install Nero Express 11 (msi). Is there a way of referring this issue to the experts?

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Some others have the problem too. No mention of browser, but probably not Slimjet:
http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics/n ... -and-fails
http://forum.nero.com/nero_eng/topics/n ... to-install

Maybe something here will help you get rid of it:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/uninstallin ... -software/

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

The question begs to be asked. From what source did this version of Slimjet come? It is almost as if it was bundled with at least one other software program (NERO) and the installer program wants to finish the bundle. The Slimjet developer, to the best of my knowledge, does not ever bundle Slimjet with another program.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

oftentired wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm
The question begs to be asked. From what source did this version of Slimjet come? It is almost as if it was bundled with at least one other software program (NERO) and the installer program wants to finish the bundle. The Slimjet developer, to the best of my knowledge, does not ever bundle Slimjet with another program.
Yes, I was about to say the first thing to do might be to uninstall his current Slimjet completely, then reinstall from a fresh download.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

sleeper10 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm
oftentired wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Yes, I was about to say the first thing to do might be to uninstall his current Slimjet completely, then reinstall from a fresh download.
Yeah, that was my thought to. And I highly recommend grabbing the offline installer. I don't think you have as good a possibility of having the needed changes made to the registry from the online installer. Slimjet download page

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

VonFraunkenschteen.

Thanks for the suggestion(s) and comment(s). The original Slimjet download was from "https://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage.php" You mention an off- line installer, how or where do I get that? Also, can I download and install over the existing one or do I have to uninstall first. If I have to uninstall first should I be exporting my bookmarks before doing so or would the uninstall be default (non-full) and my bookmarks would be inherited? Sorry for all these questions and your continued assistance would certainly be appreciated.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

On the Slimjet download page I linked there is a link to the offline installer

I would save the bookmarks and do a complete uninstall not saving anything. Then install fresh.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11