Open search in new tab, not bookmarks or URL?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
UglyStuff

Open search in new tab, not bookmarks or URL?

Post by UglyStuff »

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long-time Slimjet user, albeit on a irregular basis. I like the speed of Slimjet, but I also like how easily configurable and customizable Firefox can be. I wish Firefox could be as fast at rendering webpages as Slimjet is, though.

Anyway.

Back on topic: I'd like to know if it's possible to open search results I enter in the Omnibox (or the dedicated search bar) in a new foreground tab WITHOUT checking the "Open new URL in a new tab", which causes my bookmarks and all the URL I enter in the Omnibox to open in a new tab.

In other words, I'd like to open a new tab only when I'm searching the Web, and not in other circumstances, in a way Firefox allows if you go to about:config and give a "true" value to "browser.search.openinnewtab".

Is that even possible on Slimjet, and if so, how?

oftentired

Re: Open search in new tab, not bookmarks or URL?

Post by oftentired »

hold down the Shift key and hit Enter
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

UglyStuff

Post by UglyStuff »

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and sorry, I should have edited my OP: I already do that, and it's a pain.It's one of the small things that keep me from using Slimjet (or any other Chromium/Blink-based browser, for that matter) as my default browser: You have to consciously think about those things or suffer from loading search results in the current tab, which isn't convenient.

I'd rather find a way to open search from the Omnibox or the search bar in a new foreground tab natively.

This is what's strange about the Chromium core: some browsers seem to include functionalities that Google chose to overlook, like the ability to open URLs and bookmarks in a new tab instead of the current without resorting to pressing a key, but for some other aspects, there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to wriggle about.

Take cycling open tabs in last used order, for example: Firefox allows that natively if you activate the functionality in the preferences, but in Chrome-based browsers, you have to install an extension, then customize the pref.js file with the proper keyboard shortcut...

Do you know of a way to achieve what I'm trying to do, or an extension that will let me do it?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I work around it by opening a new tab before I search, my new tab is the "New Tab" page that includes a search box.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

UglyStuff

Post by UglyStuff »

Yeah, like you said, it's a workaround. I use Alt-Enter after I've typed my query, and it also works, but I'd rather the search results appear in a new foreground tab by default.

I wonder if it's possible to do that on per-site basis: if you enter the "www.google.com/" URL, then Slimjet opens a new foreground tab, otherwise, the URL opens in the current tab.

What do you think?

UglyStuff

Post by UglyStuff »

I'm on a laptop... Anyway, I'll probably get used to it, but I would like Slimjet and other Chrome/Blink-based browsers to be more easily configurable, more customizable.

I think it's what I like the most in Firefox: you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. Rendering is slower, even on the most recent Quantum versions, but in terms of customization, Firefox is unbeatable, I think.