No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sleeper10

Re: No sound on linux

Post by sleeper10 »

Texstar. wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 pm
23.0.4.0, still no sound. You ain't gonna believe this but Slimjet started doing sign language instead of sound! :D :D :D
The libffmpeg.so that came with 23.0.4.0 gives me sound on my 64bit machine. Try that one.
Still no sound on 32bit though. Like you, I tried about every libffmpeg.so with no luck on 32bit.

sobermadman

Post by sobermadman »

I'm afraid the fix offered for Linux systems (using libffmpeg.so and replacing the current one) is not working for me (slimjet 23.04). And I haven't discovered any opther solution. This really is a pain and a shame - I have come to prefer Slimjet over Chromium and Vivaldi as it's easier on RAM, and also faster overall. But no sound is a deal-breaker, and I'm going to have to return to Chromium. I hope this will eventually get fixed because it's a great browser - or would be if it could actually play sound :-)

missmoondog

Post by missmoondog »

yep, same deal here on my 2, 32bit machines. definitely a deal breaker after having to have waited so long for an update that didn't fix the issue. it's one thing to have to mess a round with stuff to get it to work, but when it doesn't work no matter what, it's time to move on, which i have. :(

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

No fix on 23.0.5.0, still no sound. I guess a solution can't be found, disappointing. :cry:

Texstar.

Post by Texstar. »

NO SOUND on Linux with Flashpeak Slimjet 23.0.6.0. No pulseaudio stream ever shows up in the volume control. A few people have got sound to work by stripping out pulseaudio and using alsa only.

Texstar.

Post by Texstar. »

I tested all of our Chrome based browsers with youtube and guess which browser was the only one without sound? Flashpeak Slimjet :shock:

Brave Browser - good
Google Chrome - good
Min Browser - good
Opera Stable - good
Vivaldi Stable - good

Cheers,
Texstar
PCLinuxOS

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

I wonder why that is and why a fix doesn't seem to be coming any time soon?

missmoondog

Post by missmoondog »

sleeper10 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:38 am
I wonder why that is and why a fix doesn't seem to be coming any time soon?
can't answer that but, judging from size/# of posts in the forums for this browser, it must not be a very widely used browser or have much of a team working on it? that's not really a big thing, but when it comes to not having sound play in the browser and it being a known issue for as long as it has, it's really sad that it isn't fixed.

i really like this browser compared to any other chrome based browser too. :)

edit: i tried opera stable, 64bit on my machine yesterday and it didn't play a single thing either without having to mess around and i still never got it to work. haven't really liked opera since way back in the early versions anyway and dislike it even more since switching to the chrome engine.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Oddly, sound works fine on my 64 bit, for me anyway. But, on 32 bit...nothing.

Texstar.

Post by Texstar. »

sleeper10 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:52 am
Oddly, sound works fine on my 64 bit, for me anyway. But, on 32 bit...nothing.
Do you have pulseaudio enabled on your 64bit or are you using straight alsa?