No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
michael-hi

Re: No sound on linux [32 bit Slimjet] (Solved)

Post by michael-hi »

But are you getting sound on anything in Slimjet? There are two separate issues here - the absence of any sound at all in the 32-bit Linux version of Slimjet (which is a bug) and the need to always install the latest version of the libffmpeg.so file to get certain media files to play (which is meant to be the case).

If you are getting no sound at all, then see barrycforever's post of Aug 14, 2019 and try starting Slimjet by using the command he gives (copy and paste it into a terminal). If it works for you, then you can if you wish edit your menu so that this new longer command is always executed to start Slimjet.

But if the problem is that some YouTube videos (not all) just give an error message and don't play either sound or video, then you need the libffmpeg.so file as you say. Make sure you are using the latest 32-bit version from the github page which is the first link in my last post of Aug 19, 2019. Currently the file needed is 0.44.1-linux-ia32.zip Download this file, right-click on it and "Extract here" to give you the libffmpeg.so file. Then in a terminal:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads
sudo cp libffmpeg.so /opt/slimjet/ 

OK so you've probably done all this already. The only tricks I can think of are that the last part must be done while Slimjet is not running. Otherwise it won't work even if you then close down Slimjet and restart it. The other weird thing is that you need to repeat those last commands in the terminal (while Slimjet is shut down, remember) each time Slimjet is updated - even if that exact same libffmpeg.so file is already in the /opt/slimjet folder!!

boonevillephil

Post by boonevillephil »

Thanks for your reply.... As I've done repeatedly in the past, I did each & every one of your suggestions (looking up the post for barrycforever, redownloading the 0.44.1-linux-ia32.zip file & copying all the files in the terminal without Slimjet running.... & I still have no sound. Additionally, in my previous trial & error, hunt & peck attempts to solve this issue, I screwed up my volume alltogether so that NOTHING played (not even a local file from my Music folder) at all...and it grayed out my volume control. So I spent another lengthy time trying to get this to working again. While Slimjet may be a nice alternative to Chrome, It is worthless at a simple task of playing audio. I'm better off with Chromium & just waiting until Slimjet can get a product worthy of its empty promises.
"BoonevillePhil" Leslie

DevoNorm

Post by DevoNorm »

August 1, 2020

I found a solution to this "no sound" problem but this forum won't let me post the answer. It gives me an error "no external links allowed for recently registered users". Great. I got it working though. Jango and YouTube working perfectly. I probably can't even post a text file with the instructions to my Google Drive account as that would be seen as an external link. So stupid.

How long would I have to wait before this forum would let me post external links? I understand they don't want spam but hell, I got this issue resolved and I spent over an hour typing it up and can't post it. I'm a bit miffed about it. If anyone can let me know a way around that limitation, that would be appreciated.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

DevoNorm wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:11 am
August 1, 2020

I found a solution to this "no sound" problem but this forum won't let me post the answer. It gives me an error "no external links allowed for recently registered users". Great. I got it working though. Jango and YouTube working perfectly. I probably can't even post a text file with the instructions to my Google Drive account as that would be seen as an external link. So stupid.

How long would I have to wait before this forum would let me post external links? I understand they don't want spam but hell, I got this issue resolved and I spent over an hour typing it up and can't post it. I'm a bit miffed about it. If anyone can let me know a way around that limitation, that would be appreciated.
Wait until your no longer recently registered.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

DevoNorm

Post by DevoNorm »

[/quote]Wait until your no longer recently registered.
[/quote]

Yeah but how long is that gonna take? A week, a month or more? I wasted a lot of time trying to modify the link text so it wouldn't be detected as a link but that didn't work. I was hoping this forum would allow a free exchange of ideas without such a silly limitation. In the meantime, people are flocking over to Chrome or any of the numerous web browsers out there over some unusual audio issues.

Well, I guess I'll wait a little longer. I saved my instructions into text file and will see how it goes by the end of the week.

DevoNorm

Post by DevoNorm »

I made a text file of the steps I used to get the sound working on Slimjet's 32-bit version. I wasn''t able to post the steps here because this forum didn't like all the links I had listed. In any case, I hope these instructions work for you and that you get the sound back.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pKpyza ... sp=sharing