Looking for suggestions for malware protection

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Tweakerz

Re: Looking for suggestions for malware protection

Post by Tweakerz »

In the past when I was far more involved in the IT field I used the previously mentioned programs as well as the one mentioned below and have been very pleased so it is not just coming from what I've read or heard but what I've used.

I stick with my previous advice but here is another alternative option to consider and it is like the simplest and most secure method, run nothing but what comes with Windows or disable it if you want for the most performance and have a program that creates full/incremental/differential backups at all times and restore back to when there was no problem if needed.

Scanning and cleaning won't always work and it takes time, restoring a system can take far less time and it makes sure you are clean where trying to clean a system can potentially leave remnants behind. Cleaning properly can take hours in some cases where restoring an image can usually be 15-20 minutes (depending on the size and amount of data obviously).

I use Macrium Reflect Home run on a schedule and have multiple backups created (plus backups of my backup). You can manually do this with the free version or pay once and run it on a schedule. Doing this will allow the system to run without any real-time protection which might slow older or less powerful computers but it might not be the choice for everyone and personally, I prefer to have some protection even though I have this backup to fall back on if I ever needed it. Of course, on-demand scanning is still an option with or without a backup program and no real-time protection.

Anyway, there is another option no one really dived into much but is worth considering and a solid backup plan should be part of any computer owners plan anyway.

danielson

Post by danielson »

There's no thumbs up or like icon to click here, so here's a smilee in appreciation!

:)

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

danielson wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:07 am
There's no thumbs up or like icon to click here, so here's a smilee in appreciation!

:)
Unsure if directed at me or someone else but if me then thanks! 8-)

If not and for someone else or all that replied, glad someone could help you (win-win either way). :D

famousbill

Post by famousbill »

I used to always recommend NordVPN to my customers, but it has come to my attention that MalwareBytes is pretty resource hungry. This can make my services look bad because the majority of my customers have very low power, old machines. I don't want to clean their computer and send them home slower.