[feature reqeust] pepperflash folder recognition

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
fenson68

[feature reqeust] pepperflash folder recognition

Post by fenson68 »

Can you make it that if you manually add the pepperflash folder into Slimjet's directory,Slimjet would use that instead of the plugin?
Last edited by oftentired on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited Subject for clarity

oftentired

Re: pepperFlash

Post by oftentired »

If you have pepperflash installed it should be able to run. But, you cannot run both adobe flash and pepperflash at the same time.

Make this a favorite and you can control the extensions that are installed. Without the quotes, "chrome://plugins"
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

fenson68

Re: [feature reqeust] pepperflash folder recognition

Post by fenson68 »

I know that you can't run both at the same time.I get the PepperFlash folder from a portable version of Chrome.Some browsers have a playback problem with Flash Player,& using PepperFlash instead of the plugin seems to fix it.Comodo Dragon had this problem until they supported using PepperFlash.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Actually I found it's already supported via a command line switch. For example, you can ask Slimjet to use the pepper flash coming with chrome. Just specify path to the pepper flash dll and its version like this:

slimjet.exe --ppapi-flash-path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\35.0.1916.153\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll" --ppapi-flash-version="14.0.0.125"

The actual version and path might be different on your system.
fenson68 wrote:I know that you can't run both at the same time.I get the PepperFlash folder from a portable version of Chrome.Some browsers have a playback problem with Flash Player,& using PepperFlash instead of the plugin seems to fix it.Comodo Dragon had this problem until they supported using PepperFlash.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

flashpeak wrote:Actually I found it's already supported via a command line switch. For example, you can ask Slimjet to use the pepper flash coming with chrome. Just specify path to the pepper flash dll and its version like this:

slimjet.exe --ppapi-flash-path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\35.0.1916.153\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll" --ppapi-flash-version="14.0.0.125"

fenson68 wrote:I know that you can't run both at the same time.I get the PepperFlash folder from a portable version of Chrome.Some browsers have a playback problem with Flash Player,& using PepperFlash instead of the plugin seems to fix it.Comodo Dragon had this problem until they supported using PepperFlash.
FWIW, I doubt that very many people would be interested in running SlimJet with that long cmd line login. Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate a toggle between pepperflash and the builtin.

For example, instead of that path statement, what if you copied and pasted PepperFlash from ChromePortable to a subfolder somewhere under SlimJet's program folder?

Could you not use something like:

slimjet.exe --ppapi-flash-path="c:\SlimJet\Plugins\pepflashplayer.dll"

Just saying.
-N-

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

flashpeak wrote:Actually I found it's already supported via a command line switch. For example, you can ask Slimjet to use the pepper flash coming with chrome. Just specify path to the pepper flash dll and its version like this:

I found that after running SF once with the command line I previously posted here, that the next time I ran SF without a command line switch, that it automatically used pepper flash to run FLV files. Is there an INI or Config file where SF keeps this info and did SF create one for this?

Tks.
-N-

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I'd guess pepper made a registry entry when invoked from the command line that sets it as default until the next command line that would turn it off as default

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

oftentired wrote:I'd guess pepper made a registry entry when invoked from the command line that sets it as default until the next command line that would turn it off as default

oftentired,

I think you got it right.... it is frustrating as it works sometimes and not others. Without having any coding ability, I still think that a toggle between using a sometimes system installed Adobe Flash on a computer(npswf32.dll) and pepflashplayer.dll is ideal.

I personally believe that making SlimJet into a completely portable app with all the elements incorporated inside it, could be the best selling point for this browser that has quickly become my default choice.

But the devil, as they say, is in the details and using pepper flash does not seem to be easy right now without some developer input. I wonder what other Chrome offshoots do with flash?
-N-

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

We have just decided to build pepper flash into Slimjet since I have experienced more crashes and hanging with Adobe's NPAPI flash so far. It seems like NPAPI flash is almost an unsupported path with Google Chrome. Therefore, it's better for us to ship with pepper flash even if it makes the setup file about 6MB bigger.

I've not make it official yet. But you can download 1.0.16 beta with pepper flash from this link: http://www.slimjet.com/redir.php?id=sjtbeta_win .

If you still would like to use NPAPI flash in the new version, go to chrome://plugins and disable the pepper flash dll. Then install the flash player from adobe and it will be picked up automatically.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

Nordones

Post by Nordones »

flashpeak wrote:We have just decided to build pepper flash into Slimjet since I have experienced more crashes and hanging with Adobe's NPAPI flash so far. It seems like NPAPI flash is almost an unsupported path with Google Chrome. Therefore, it's better for us to ship with pepper flash even if it makes the setup file about 6MB bigger.

I've not make it official yet. But you can download 1.0.16 beta with pepper flash from this link: http://www.slimjet.com/redir.php?id=sjtbeta_win .

If you still would like to use NPAPI flash in the new version, go to chrome://plugins and disable the pepper flash dll. Then install the flash player from adobe and it will be picked up automatically.
Very much appreciated. Just got done downloading 1.0.16b and running it. Pepper Flash works flawlessly. I will now copy this version to my USB stick and proudly show it around to the half dozen nonprofits I work with who are currently using Chrome out of the box, despite my warnings about its privacy issues.

My kludge from before worked, but it was a kludge and so it is now (happily) retired.

Thanks!
-N-