Ad Blocker Not Working on ZeroHedge site

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
finaledit

Ad Blocker Not Working on ZeroHedge site

Post by finaledit »

I've been quite pleased with SlimJet's ad blocker, but one of the sites I frequent has found a way to defeat it.

For years, I've used ZeroHedge (https://www.zerohedge.com) as a primary news source, particularly for finance. Up until about a month or so ago, the SlimJet ad blocker worked perfectly on the site.

No longer. The ad blocker shows twenty-some ads being blocked, but the site refuses to load completely until it can start serving ads, and they just keep coming, completely eating all the bandwidth and making the site basically unusable.

The ad blocker works perfectly on all other sites.

I don't know what Slimjet version I'm using (where do I find that info?), but I've got it set to update automatically once a month.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

oftentired

Re: Ad Blocker Not Working on ZeroHedge site

Post by oftentired »

Version Update came out today 21.0.5 (12/4/18)
• Fix bug with ad blocker filter selection

Version
clicking the Gear Icon at the upper right of the Slimjet window. Then scroll down to Help center, click it to open the Help sub-menu, and select/click About Slimjet.

If your running Win XP your version should be at 10.x.x
Otherwise 21.0.5 is most recent

Update
You can manually check for an update by clicking the Gear Icon at the upper right of the Slimjet window. Then scroll down to Help center, click it to open the Help sub-menu, and select/click Check Update.

Sometimes the manual Update checking is broken. If that does not show an update and your not running version 21.0.5 you can go to the download page and grab it there. Gear Icon at the upper right of the Slimjet window. Then scroll down to Help center, click it to open the Help sub-menu, and select/click Product homepage.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

finaledit

Post by finaledit »

Oftentired:

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I'm indeed using XP and, following your directions, learned I'm using SlimJet version Version 10.0.13.0 (based on Chromium 50.0.2661.75). According to the 10.0 Stable Release for XP and Vista announcement, that's the latest (and last) for XP.

Do you have any thoughts on workarounds I might try for the ZeroHedge site?

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Try this Zerohedge mobile portal:
http://gmbhnews.mobilova.de/view/ZeroHedge.html

You could also try a different adblocker (I use Ublock Origin). If you do that, be sure to disable the Slimjet one in Settings.