App icons disappeared

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
joe91735

App icons disappeared

Post by joe91735 »

When i opened Slimjet i would see app icons on the home page (which was other wise blank) Now the page is completely blank and i have a "Slimjet App Launcher" icon on my desktop.
How do I get the icons back into the browser?

dev

Re: App icons disappeared

Post by dev »

Go into settings (cog wheel far right icon). Look for Enable desktop notifications. Disable it if its enabled. Restart browser. It may help or not as there are other things that could have altered your homepage.

joe91735

Post by joe91735 »

That didn't help, Dev.
I recall now what happened. I had signed into google and that reset a bunch of stuff and set my home page to "about:Blank"
Could it be that home page should be set to something else?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

go into settings and at the second section labeled "On Startup" select the third choice "Open a specific page or set of pages" and click the words "Set Pages" then change your homepage to "chrome://newtab/"

Because this is a Chromium based browser what happened when you signed into Google Account was that your open browser then made use of Chrome Sync to update your currently running logged in browser with the previously used and uploaded to the cloud "Chrome Sync". This can be handy but some things specific to Slimjet such as bookmarks will not come across. And this did happen because you previously made a choice to use the Chrome Sync feature while running a Chromium based browser.

You can change the behaviour of Chrome Sync by using the instructions here

dev

Post by dev »

Here's a tip that i use for google sync and slimjet: Set slimjet up as you want it and then simply just set up a new google account and sync it with slimjet then just use that account for slimjet. It just saves any other chrome browser's settings and profiles that have been synced before getting messed up with slimjet.

Always backup your userdata folder as well viewtopic.php?f=9&t=115&p=518#p518. It pretty much gets you back to what you have setup if anything changes.

joe91735

Post by joe91735 »

Guys this "chrome://newtab/" just displays the speeddial page, which is not what I'm looking for.
What i had was a page showing Icons from the extensions i have installed like "Close and clean"
Oh I got the page by clicking "Apps" which was in the Bookmark bar.
They are now presented by clicking an Icon on the desktop called "Slimjet App Launcher"

dev

Post by dev »

joe91735 wrote:Guys this "chrome://newtab/" just displays the speeddial page, which is not what I'm looking for.
What i had was a page showing Icons from the extensions i have installed like "Close and clean"
Oh I got the page by clicking "Apps" which was in the Bookmark bar.
They are now presented by clicking an Icon on the desktop called "Slimjet App Launcher"
set your homepage to slimjet://apps then report back

By the way you could uninstall "close and clean" and just use slimjet settings privacy: Clean the following selected items at exit

Browser history

Cached files

Cookies, site data and plugin data

joe91735

Post by joe91735 »

Ok Dev, that's what i was looking for.
One more thing i did was create a bookmark using "slimjet://apps"
I like the Clean and close because i can clear all without having to close the browser.
Thanks for all the help.

dev

Post by dev »

Ah I thought because it was called close and clear that's what it did :? ctrl+shift+delete or settings, more tools, clear browsing data without existing slimjet.

joe91735

Post by joe91735 »

I appreciate the hint, but for me one click on an Icon a lot easier.