Cannot Have Slimjet Show Multiple Search Engines

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
scutrona

Cannot Have Slimjet Show Multiple Search Engines

Post by scutrona »

Hi all
I am currently running SJ 19.0.8.0 on a Win10 machine and I am generally very happy with it.
I have a small issue that's been bothering me for a couple of months.

Until that time, I could have 2 separate search engines in the search engine drop down menu (I am using DuckDuck Go and Google). A couple of months ago, by mistake I deleted Google from the list and from then I have not been able to put it back.

I have Google in the list of the "other search engines" and if I select the "make default" button it will make Google default, but it will delete DuckDuckGo and viceversa. In other words, it works as if I could only have one active search engine in the drop down menu, which is not correct.

I am attaching a snaphshot of my drop down menu, when I try to move Google from the "other search engines" to the "default" ones and it shows that although it's in the list, it does not show in the drop down menu.

Could you pls help?
Thanks

oftentired

Re: Cannot Have Slimjet Show Multiple Search Engines

Post by oftentired »

Just to be sure, your going into Settings and drilling down to Manage Search Engines?

From there I think you need to click Add and manually add the search engine instead of selecting one from the other list and making it default.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

scutrona

Post by scutrona »

Hi oftentired
thanks for your reply.

Short answer: yes, I have done what you wrote.
Long answer: I have also tried several other ways, that is, everything that's written on the tutorials in the Slimjet forum and on Chrome support pages. No joy.
I think the issue is that I have deleted the pre-installed search engines (yahoo, bing, etc) and it seems it's now impossible to have them back.

This is what I do:
From settings->ominbox->manage search settings, I can add a search engine (say Google), that will be added to the "other search engines" list.
From there, in order to have it listed on the drop down menu, it must be placed on the list above: "default search engines".
The only way to do this is by clicking on the 3 dots and click on "make deafult". This will effectively put Google on the default list, together with DuckDuckGo, but in the drop down menu now I will only have Google and no longer DuckDuckGo, despite both of them being on the "default" list.

One quick note. This is what I found on Google Chrome help page: If Google is normally your search engine and suddenly it’s not, you may have malware.

I understand that this is small fry, but it's rather annoying, as I was finding this option very useful.
Thanks for your help.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

You could download the offline installer for the current version and try an uninstall keeping your user settings, and a fresh install. I'm not convinced that will work, but it has some chance.

I have a question too, your Slimjet isn't picking up stray search engines now and again and adding them to the other section at all???
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

slimjetter

Post by slimjetter »

"I think the issue is that I have deleted the pre-installed search engines (yahoo, bing, etc) and it seems it's now impossible to have them back."

That is exactly the the issue. Have had it for several versions now.

If I delete a pre-installed search engine its gone forever on the default drop down list from the omnibar/searchbar. (so instead of five there's only four or three or two) in the list. One of the updates did restore the list to five so I haven't tried customizing the list since.

But it is a flaw to not be able to put the list of search engines in the order you need or desire.

scutrona

Post by scutrona »

Hi slimjetter and oftentired,
thanks for your inputs.

@oftentired
I tried making a fresh install using the offline installer for the current version, but it did not restore the search engines, nor it fixed my issue, that is, I am in the same identical situation as before.
As to your question, SJ does pick up automatically a search engine when you use it and it put it in the "other search engine" list. The issue starts from that moment onwards - you can add one of these "others" to the default list by clicking on "make default", but this action will automatically kick the other default engine out. In other words, it appears I can only have one default engine, defying the purpose of the multiple search engine capability.

@slimjetter
Agree - I think SJ has a flaw, where if you intentionally or by mistake delete a pre-installed search engine, you won't be able to put it back to the default list.

Unfortunately, none of the updates restored the pre-installed engines, so my only solution left is now to uninstall SJ and make a fresh install, losing all my settings.

I guess my only available options now are:
- make a fresh install and lose my settings
- miss out the multiple default search engine capability

Thanks for your inputs.