Logging in w/ Google: Redirect Blocked

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
carthusian

Logging in w/ Google: Redirect Blocked

Post by carthusian »

Hello. New Slimjet user here. I searched the board, but couldn't find an answer to this. I'm trying to log in to my New York Times account. Clicking the 'Login with Google' button, a new tab briefly appears then disappears. In the address bar of the referring page a little icon appears, which when hovered over displays 'Redirect blocked on this page.' I've looked in Settings. The closest possibly relevant setting I could find is 'Block cross-domain HTTP referrer,' which I've unchecked, but the problem persists.

One other note: When working correctly, if I am in a Times article, but have not yet logged on (they paywall doesn't kick in until after x number of articles), then attempt to log in with Google, correct behavior would be for me to be able to log in then be referred back to the article. With Slimjet, after the redirect seems to fail I am brought back to the Times login screen. And so it appears that I am not logged in. But if, from that login screen, I click the link to go to the Times' home page, I am taken there and discover that I have indeed been logged in.

In short, the redirect appears to fail. But I am nevertheless logged in. But the ability, following login, to be taken back to the article I was browsing is broken.

Thoughts? Thank you!

sleeper10

Re: Logging in w/ Google: Redirect Blocked

Post by sleeper10 »

Can you click on the icon (or right click) & tell it to allow the redirect :?: You can uncheck 'Protect you and your device from dangerous sites' in Settings, but rather risky. I don't get blocked there, so not sure why you do.

carthusian

Post by carthusian »

Right-clicking the little icon produces a pop-up that says 'Re-direct blocked to site,' followed by the URL. The only options from there are to click a 'Got It' button or to X out of the pop-up. So no option to ignore. I agree that unchecking the 'Protect you and your device from dangerous sites' box is ill-advised. I can live with the issue if I have to. It detracts only a little from an otherwise fast and feature-rich browsing experience.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

When heading for the NY Times go to this URL

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

When I click the 'Login with Google' button, the login appears, no redirect is blocked. No clue why it blocks you, but obviously something is different somewhere. I assume you're using the latest Slimjet (19.0.5.0) & have cleared your cache.