Interesting Info on Chrome 39

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
jeffhere

Interesting Info on Chrome 39

Post by jeffhere »

I received an email today from my slingbox manufacturer. Thought I would post....maybe everyone knows this, but I did not! Once Chrome 39 hits the streets, it notes that no 32bit extensions will work.

From slingmedia:
<start snip>
"As you may be aware of, Google just launched its brand new 64-bit Chrome browser as a required upgrade for Mac OS X customers, and has made the upgrade on Windows-based systems a user opt-in update. In the process, Google has decided to discontinue the support of 32-bit browser plug-ins for Mac OS X and Windows systems. The current Web-based Slingplayer for Mac and PC is a 32-bit browser plug-in and will therefore no longer be supported in the Chrome browser with this upgrade.

We are in the process of addressing this issue and are expecting a temporary interruption of the free, web-based Slingplayer service for Chrome browsers version 39 and above. In order to continue to enjoy your true TV anywhere experience from Slingbox, we encourage you to do one of the following: "
<end snip>

One of the actions they suggest is to not upgrade to Chrome 39....

Hope they are wrong, all my extensions are 32 bit....I'd think there will be a mad dash to get extensions updated!! So this is FYI for all of us....

dev

Re: Interesting Info on Chrome 39

Post by dev »

Its for Mac OS only where Windows OS still get a 32bit and the 64bit versions

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

not according to the email info received by the maker of the 32bit extension for Slingbox!

"...Google has decided to discontinue the support of 32-bit browser plug-ins for Mac OS X and Windows systems The current Web-based Slingplayer for Mac and PC is a 32-bit browser plug-in and will therefore no longer be supported in the Chrome browser with this upgrade..."

Well, once it hits, I'll be watching and waiting...hopefully they are wrong and you are right!

dev

Post by dev »

jeffhere wrote:not according to the email info received by the maker of the 32bit extension for Slingbox!

"...Google has decided to discontinue the support of 32-bit browser plug-ins for Mac OS X and Windows systems The current Web-based Slingplayer for Mac and PC is a 32-bit browser plug-in and will therefore no longer be supported in the Chrome browser with this upgrade..."

Well, once it hits, I'll be watching and waiting...hopefully they are wrong and you are right!
http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2 ... ndows.html . Too many 32bit windows Os still in use for google to make it only 64bit as most mac's are 64bit systems probably only 1st gen that are not.
Google chrome stable 32bit is already on version 39 for windows.

guciokun

Post by guciokun »

dev wrote:
jeffhere wrote:not according to the email info received by the maker of the 32bit extension for Slingbox!

http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.com/2 ... ndows.html . Too many 32bit windows Os still in use for google to make it only 64bit as most mac's are 64bit systems probably only 1st gen that are not.
Google chrome stable 32bit is already on version 39 for windows.
EDIT:
There will be ONLY 64 bit version on mac. This is bad for older macs...

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Yes, some extension have been discontinued because of compatibility issues with x64 version of Google Chrome. I have also notice a little UI change in the app store when looking for extension. Yeah just click the one you want and you should notice it.

dev

Post by dev »

LimboSlam wrote:Yes, some extension have been discontinued because of compatibility issues with x64 version of Google Chrome. I have also notice a little UI change in the app store when looking for extension. Yeah just click the one you want and you should notice it.
All they've done is swapped the categories around overview, related etc and added a section under the support tab.
Which extensions have been discontinued and why would a developer discontinue a 32bit extension that still works in a 32bit browser which is still available just because it may not work in a 64bit browser? Anyhoo all of my 32bit extensions work fine in my 64bit slimjet guess I've been lucky in that.
To me all that will happen is that most app/extensions dev's will have a 32bit and a 64bit version, its happening over at mozilla with 64 bit addons. Its only going to be mac users who have a problem at first and I don't think that will be as big as a problem that people think it will be ( they could just use 32 bit slimjet for instance :D )plus someone will just fork chromium 32bit for mac only.
32 bit chrome for windows is going to be around for a long time yet as are the 32bit extensions that go with it, x64 machines have been around for years but software for them is still 99% 32bit based. The only reason that chrome has gone 64bit only for mac's is that most of them are x64 machines unlike windows machines that have both 32/64bit and don't forget the millions of users that have only 32bit windows that are still out there.