Ver 2.0.0 w/Chrome 38...Problems!!

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
jeffhere

Ver 2.0.0 w/Chrome 38...Problems!!

Post by jeffhere »

Stephen,

PLEASE let us know (in the what's new as a warning) when you make a change where the old profile will not be good any longer.

I installed 2.0.0 and the mouse gestures were very basic (I knew that since you noted it - and thanks for starting its implementation!). So I went back to my extension, SmartUp. The Chrome 38.xxx really messed up my extension SmartUp (the BEST mouse gesture program out there by far - you should try on 1.3.0 and model the built gestures after this extension. Can't say enough good about it). Chrome 38 did something to SmartUp behavior.

So I went back to 1.3.0 which then caused all kinds of errors "old profile vs new profile"....Fortunately I had a backup but went through great pains to get it how it was. If, as asked in the first sentence, you could place a warning when the profiles will change going backward - it will help immensely.

I finally got back to 1.3.0

Again - check out SmartUp and model the built in gestures after it. Very flexible, intuitive and easy to use.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ilhncnjldn

For example, I'd never use an up gesture for page up...that's what the scroll wheel is for. But intuitively, up gesture = zoom in. For me, down gestures resets to page default (set by using control + or -) or you could do zoom out too. Of course with SmartUp, you can make any gesture do almost anything...

Until all is resolved with SmartUp (I sent an email to the author already who in the past was very responsive) or you can make the built in gestures robust, I can not use 2.0.0 and greater at this time.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Ver 2.0.0 w/Chrome 38...Problems!!

Post by flashpeak »

Whenever you see a "Chromium version update" in the list of new features, the profile is not going to be compatible with earlier versions. I share your frustration but the developers at Google believe users should never have to revert to older versions once they have upgraded. We will increment the major version number whenever we update the Chromium engine underlying.

As for the built-in mouse gesture, we have an option to switch it off under the Misc section of the settings page.
jeffhere wrote:Stephen,

PLEASE let us know (in the what's new as a warning) when you make a change where the old profile will not be good any longer.

I installed 2.0.0 and the mouse gestures were very basic (I knew that since you noted it - and thanks for starting its implementation!). So I went back to my extension, SmartUp. The Chrome 38.xxx really messed up my extension SmartUp (the BEST mouse gesture program out there by far - you should try on 1.3.0 and model the built gestures after this extension. Can't say enough good about it). Chrome 38 did something to SmartUp behavior.

So I went back to 1.3.0 which then caused all kinds of errors "old profile vs new profile"....Fortunately I had a backup but went through great pains to get it how it was. If, as asked in the first sentence, you could place a warning when the profiles will change going backward - it will help immensely.

I finally got back to 1.3.0

Again - check out SmartUp and model the built in gestures after it. Very flexible, intuitive and easy to use.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ilhncnjldn

For example, I'd never use an up gesture for page up...that's what the scroll wheel is for. But intuitively, up gesture = zoom in. For me, down gestures resets to page default (set by using control + or -) or you could do zoom out too. Of course with SmartUp, you can make any gesture do almost anything...

Until all is resolved with SmartUp (I sent an email to the author already who in the past was very responsive) or you can make the built in gestures robust, I can not use 2.0.0 and greater at this time.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

jeffhere

Re: Ver 2.0.0 w/Chrome 38...Problems!!

Post by jeffhere »

flashpeak wrote:Whenever you see a "Chromium version update" in the list of new features, the profile is not going to be compatible with earlier versions. I share your frustration but the developers at Google believe users should never have to revert to older versions once they have upgraded. We will increment the major version number whenever we update the Chromium engine underlying.
This is good to know.....
flashpeak wrote: As for the built-in mouse gesture, we have an option to switch it off under the Misc section of the settings page.
Yup, found it when I tested it originally...but as mentioned, SmartUp extension isn't working right with the Chrome 38/Slimjet 2.0.0 - author aware and will try and fix. I do hope you can make it robust like SmartUp....he even has an "reopen closed tabs" that maintains all the tab nav history and other cool options for gestures! Try it, emulate it :)