video stutter

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
oftentired

Re: video stutter

Post by oftentired »

paul1149 wrote:Then, in your opinion, we should not file bug reports?
In this quote I cannot find a logical path from what I said to what you said I was saying. My opinion about bug reports is the exact opposite of what you proposed my opinion to be. I think users at every stage of release should report new bugs as often as possible.

To be more specific about my beta comment.

With Slimjet in beta there will be issues from time to time with far greater frequency then one should expect or have after it comes out of beta. And, being in beta, It is my opinion that it may be premature to be installing it on computers being sold to the general public.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

The logical path is that your comment seemed to me to dissuade bringing up problems because we should expect problems in beta software. It didn't say whether my problem is already known, whether it intrinsically resides in Blink or is a part of Slimjet, or if I should expect something to be done about it. In short, it wasn't helpful.

But your last point, about deploying beta software, is valid. I hadn't thought of it, but if there are no security/privacy vulnerabilities to SJ as it stands, and the beta aspect affects only performance, I will continue to do so. A comment from the developers would be appreciated about that.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Actually, I see that there is a stable version, which is what I have been using, so I guess the point is moot.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

I guess the blink engine is not particularly friendly to low-configuration systems. The multi-process architecture also requires a larger initial memory footprint.
I had bad experience playing video on Atom netbooks before myself. I usually let it play in a small window instead of fullscreen.
paul1149 wrote:I just had a prospective customer ask about video freezing on a unit I have for sale. I ran the unit to find out, and to my surprise video performance in Slimjet was not good at all. There wasn't freezing, but there was plenty of stuttering. CPU hovered resiliently around 100%, with just one tab open.

At first I chalked it up to windows updating and panda AV working in the background, which indeed were factors. But even after they calmed down the poor performance continued. Switching to the flash player did not help.

So I fired up IE to compare, and was astounded by the difference. IE ran the video much smoother and clearer.

This is a netbook with an Intel Atom 1.66ghz hyperthreaded single core CPU and 2GB of DDR2 RAM, running Win7 x86.

I also have someone returning a netbook, complaining about speed. There may well be other factors at play there, but at this point I am concerned.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

I guess that most of the browsers aren't terribly good at this these days; I was surprised that IE was markedly better.

For the record, the other netbook with speed problems had a different problem - a LAN driver was messing up somehow, causing System to take a constant 10-13% of resources.

Thanks,
Paul