Getting pop-ups on the latest version of Slimjet

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
spotify95

Getting pop-ups on the latest version of Slimjet

Post by spotify95 »

Hi,

I've only been recently having this problem, from when I switched from Slimjet 10 up to Slimjet 16 (due to support in SJ 10 being dropped). When using Slimjet 10, it was fine, but using Slimjet 16 I have this issue.

On a couple of my tabs, when I load them, they redirect to a suspicious link and display a pop-up. This happened today and the URL was bywinners.men, which thankfully timed out and did not display. I had to press the back button to get rid of this and go back to the page I wanted.

A couple of days ago, the same thing happened (I cannot remember if it was the same URL) and that time it displayed the pop up (something to do with winning a prize). I had to press and hold the back button to find the page I required.

I do not think that this is a virus installed on my PC, because this has only been happening since switching to Slimjet version 16.0. No other browsers (such as Chrome, Firefox, Pale Moon, IE/Edge) are affected.

Please can someone look into this urgently for me as I am not happy with this and will downgrade to a prior Slimjet release (or even get rid of Slimjet and go back to Chrome, since SJ no longer supports the NPAPI plugins) if this is not fixed very soon.

Thanks!

oftentired

Re: Getting pop-ups on the latest version of Slimjet

Post by oftentired »

This is not a problem caused by Slimjet

Put this is in google

bywinners.men

Then click the most reputable looking hit and follow the direction to remove it
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

oftentired wrote:This is not a problem caused by Slimjet

Put this is in google

bywinners.men

Then click the most reputable looking hit and follow the direction to remove it
Hi, thank you for the information. I asked whether it was Slimjet related because it was only happening since the latest update.

It also only happens on ebay.co.uk, not on any other website.

I've checked with McAfee and it comes up clear (though I will also run it in safe mode tomorrow just to be sure), I've checked with Malwarebytes anti-malware and it comes up clear, I've checked other browsers and they are not affected, so it just seems like an eBay/Slimjet issue.

None of the hits look to be extremely reputable, though I've decided that I will refresh Slimjet (after signing out of Google, so it keeps my settings), uninstall Slimjet, then reinstall the latest version from the website and sign back into Google to get my settings across. That should solve whatever is causing the issue.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

It does seem odd that it happens only on Ebuy uk
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

spotify95

Post by spotify95 »

oftentired wrote:It does seem odd that it happens only on Ebuy uk
Yeah... I've looked into it, and it's not a Slimjet 16 issue, nor is it a virus issue... just an issue with eBay's webpages. Other people have been discussing this on eBay's forums too:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technic ... -p/5715095

It must have been coincidental that I updated my Slimjet and it started then. Thankfully nothing has happened for a few days now so I think eBay must have sorted out whatever their problem was.

Thanks for your help :)