Is it the new version, the settings, or a new web trend?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
thodgson

Is it the new version, the settings, or a new web trend?

Post by thodgson »

For the past several days, when I go to ad-rich websites, I'm getting a message saying something like "We have detected an ad blocker. We rely on advertising ... Either disable your ad blocker or ...." I'm attaching an example.

This is a new phenomenon. I thought it was because I had messed with some of the settings for a specific one-time purpose and perhaps forgot to unset or reset something. But I just put all the settings back to default, and it is still occurring.

Is this to do with Slimjet and its settings, or is this a new trend on the web?

oftentired

Re: Is it the new version, the settings, or a new web trend?

Post by oftentired »

This is not something new, it is just that there are not many sites doing it. This is server side thing. I've had this come up from time to time for a year or more when the server figures out I'm blocking ads. They want "their" money. Too bad; so sad.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ajkalian

Re: Is it the new version, the settings, or a new web trend?

Post by ajkalian »

Business Insider was started by Henry Blodget and he has lots of nerve to require that you must view ads to use his site.

Due to his violations of securities laws and subsequent civil trial conviction, Blodget is permanently banned from involvement in the securities industry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blodget

Bloomberg, Forbes and Nasdaq also use this tactic. Ironic that they are all large financial institutions that should be able to fund their own websites without having to demand you view their ads.

You might want to send them this pic explaining why you use an ad blocker.