Disaster...

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
josephrot

Disaster...

Post by josephrot »

What a disaster. Just upgraded SlimJet to Version 16.0.5.0 (32bit) on Windows 7 Pro...

Last night, closed down my session, having about 22 open Tabs representing months of work, and had the drop-down menus across the top -- File... etc., etc. --
Never had a problem in the past saving.

Just reopened SlimJet this morning. Gone. All gone. No multiple tabs, no drop down menu's, yet other options remained in place, including options that I set in days past.

What the heck happened ??

Where's the multiple sessions manager ? I need to go back TWO sessions, maybe three at most, to recapture all my painstaking work.

Of COURSE I tried the useless "Restore tabs in last session" but that's useless, it only restored one new tab.

Yes, I located and installed the Session Buddy extension -- absolutely useless. It found that there's no more than one session previously saved.

Now I think in have to painstakingly thread through History to try to see what 22 tabs I have opened in the past ??

Try as I might, how do I get the across-the-top drop-down menu structure back ?

What's going on ?

Sign me a VERY angry user after almost two years of SlimJet usage.

oftentired

Re: Disaster...

Post by oftentired »

Please stop posting the same thing all over the forum, it will not improve the response time.

I'm not understanding your reference to "File etc", that makes it sound like another program other than Slimjet which does not have a File etc menu.

I'm going to go with what you typed and think to myself Slimjet all the way, but I have my doubts you only discussing Slimjet.

If an update to Slimjet presented a problem, before doing anything else drastic I would log into another account, an Admin account, not the account you were using when this happened, and perform a system restore to the point prior to this happening. Then from that same admin account, not the account you were using when this happened, I would install the version of Slimjet that I was using when this happened.

After that I would log into the normal account and run the previous version of Slimjet.

I'm not saying this will work, but that is what I would do before taking any other steps that might eradicate the system state I'm attempting to recover.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

josephrot

Post by josephrot »

Genuinely appreciate the idea, and your methodology, but the bottom line is that after a long time opening, using, closing down, etc. SlimJet...whatever happened should never happen.

Sort of glum that in order to "protect" sessions, we have to use the Session Buddy Extension, but even that extension needs a few options to quickly bring back an entire session, as there are no obvious options or right-hand menu options to do so, at least none that can be found.

However, the Session Buddy will have to do, at least it saves sessions in case of another bust.

Thank you again, but perhaps SlimJet's author will cast another harder glance on even a slightly more robust multiple-session manager for the next SlimJet update, and may be easier to reach on Facebook.

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

If I need to save a series of open tabs before shutting down I right click any of the tabs and Bookmark all the Tabs, it is a pretty quick way to save all of them. I've never needed a session manager.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

josephrot

Post by josephrot »

oftentired wrote:If I need to save a series of open tabs before shutting down I right click any of the tabs and Bookmark all the Tabs, it is a pretty quick way to save all of them. I've never needed a session manager.
Yep, that's an idea. And yes, until Firefox / Mozilla "installed" their Session Manager, that was very much how we did it on that Browser.

Still, I wonder what complexity or worry has entered into SlimJet programmer or even Chrome itself, to not have a "built-in" Session Manager...clearly a sort of much needed "disaster protection".

Joe

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

josephrot wrote:
oftentired wrote:If I need to save a series of open tabs before shutting down I right click any of the tabs and Bookmark all the Tabs, it is a pretty quick way to save all of them. I've never needed a session manager.
Still, I wonder what complexity or worry has entered into SlimJet programmer or even Chrome itself, to not have a "built-in" Session Manager...clearly a sort of much needed "disaster protection".
In the previous 2 browsers put out by the Slimjet developer he built in a very functional and useful "Group" capability that was it's own menu item. However, moving to Chrome adding in the Group feature was replaced by the right click Bookmark all tabs. Since Bookmarks are a major feature of the Blink engine it makes sense to use it for what is can do.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11