New to SlimJet - Very pleased with the program

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
ajkalian

New to SlimJet - Very pleased with the program

Post by ajkalian »

Hello,
New to the forum and new to SlimJet. I was a long time FireFox user, but gave up on the "progress" that was being made with FireFox. I tried many other browsers and I feel SlimJet is going to be the browser that will become my daily driver.

The developers have done a very nice job of making Chrome a bit more user friendly. Overall I have no complaints regarding the overall experience and performance of SlimJet. I understand it's a monumental programming project, so I expect that more features will be added as time goes on.

There are a couple of suggestions that I'd like to make for the development team to consider. A Menu Bar would be a nice addition as a toggle. It would also be a nice feature to be able to move the tabs below the location bar, or as it's referred to in FireFox lingo, "Tabs not on Top". The Bookmarks implementation is far superior to any other Chrome offering. It would just be nice to access it through a Menu Item, opposed to having to go through the extra step....Settings/Bookmarks.

None of these "suggestions" are a deal breaker for me. If they get implemented in future updates, great. If they don't it won't affect my decision to use SlimJet as my preferred browser.

Keep up the good work.

oftentired

Re: New to SlimJet - Very pleased with the program

Post by oftentired »

Welcome to Slimjet !!

In the meantime for bookmarks, the side panel can be quickly opened with a Ctrl+I keys. Only takes a few goes to get used to doing that. And it acts as a toggle. So the same key press will close it.

And if you want the "manager" window the Ctrl+Shift+O key combination is pretty fast for that too. However, it won't act as a toggle.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ajkalian

Post by ajkalian »

oftentired wrote:Welcome to Slimjet !!

In the meantime for bookmarks, the side panel can be quickly opened with a Ctrl+I keys. Only takes a few goes to get used to doing that. And it acts as a toggle. So the same key press will close it.

And if you want the "manager" window the Ctrl+Shift+O key combination is pretty fast for that too. However, it won't act as a toggle.
Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try.
I found a setting last night that is pretty interesting. It is in the Bookmarks Sidebar, and set it to Auto Hide. It is a very nice feature, somewhat hidden, and it works better than a menu item. Just mouse over to the left side border, and up pops all the bookmarks, pick what you want and go.

Maybe the Ctrl+I option will be better, though. I'll give them both a try for a while and see which one I prefer.

ajkalian

Post by ajkalian »

Just to follow up on the Bookmarks discussion.
The Settings/Appearance/Customize Toolbar option of "Auto Hide on Side" is a great feature. It would be nice if were a bit wider, but it's great to be able to pop up the bookmarks with a swipe of the mouse. Nice touch with the Overflow Chevron to bring up the balance of the Bookmarks if there's a lot of them.

But I found that the setting was transitory. I'd start up SlimJet and it would work, then later in the session it wouldn't. It took me a while to figure it out, but it turned out to be the keyboard shortcut for Bookmarks, Ctrl-I. Whenever I called up Bookmarks with Ctrl-I the Bookmarks settings would get changed to "Always Hidden" .

I could set it back to "Auto Hide on Side" and it that setting would remain, but Ctrl-I would re-set it every time. Not what I would have expected. And BTW, who came up with Ctrl-I for Bookmarks? That is a two handed operation, and Ctrl-B (for Bookmarks) makes it a one handed Quick Key Shortcut, and near as I can see Ctrl-B isn't used for anything. It might be a Chrome/Google hard coded thing, and if so, then nothing can be done about it, and thats something I can get used to, but it would be nice to be able to change keyboard shortcuts assignments. Maybe in a future version?

Since I'm kinda OCD, is there a way to get rid of the Bookmarks icon on the toolbar? I couldn't locate a setting to do that. Or to remove or re-order any of the icons on the toolbar. I'd really like to get rid of the weather icon as well. As the old saying goes, "You don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Something else I noticed, is there isn't a way to clear the Bookmarks. FWIW, there isn't one in FireFox either. I had just created an empty .json file and "restored" it, then imported the HTML file. It's because if you want to update the Bookmarks file, and attempt to import another HTML file, it is additive, and you end up with a boat load of duplicates. Since Slimjet only imports an HTML file, I figured a way to do it, although I might have missed a setting someplace.

Another option is to create an empty HTML file, and import that to clear out all the Bookmarks, but I don't know how to do that.

What I did was to delete the SlimJet\User Data\Default\Bookmarks, Bookmarks.bak and the Favicons file. Then Imported the HTML file and everything went OK. (Note I'm using the Portable version, so the installed version might have a different directory structure.

One thing I will say is that the Bookmarks import is FAST. Way faster than FireFox. Like 10 times faster. Slimjet also splits the files into a straight text file, and stores the Favicons in another one. The text file is very nice to have with all the bookmarks in a readable form. I like that feature very much.