Why does it take so long for Slimjet to update ??

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
RBTB2605

Why does it take so long for Slimjet to update ??

Post by RBTB2605 »

OK...So essentially Slimjet is pretty much my backup browser now since I have really grown quite fond of the Opera web browser, BUT, my question has to do with why it takes the Slimjet developers so long to update Slimjet to something that is close to the latest releases Chromium version ?

Right now Opera is running Chromium 60.0.3112.90 and Opera 48 is about to be released. Slimjet is still stuck on Chromium 59.0.3071.86.

jaguarfra

Re: Why does it take so long for Slimjet to update ??

Post by jaguarfra »

I suppose they have to rewrite a lot of the code each version. Chrome is at 61 while SJ is at 59

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

jaguarfra wrote:I suppose they have to rewrite a lot of the code each version. Chrome is at 61 while SJ is at 59
Yes, probably. I am playing with the new Firefox 57 Beta now. Fast ! New architecture underneath now. Beats Opera and Slimjet in several tests so far.

stringan

Post by stringan »

Gave the Firefox 57 beta a whirl on Linux, but wasn't dazzled.
Memory usage, when you add both the Firefox and Web Content processes together, was actually higher than Slimjet's.
Also, it devastates the number of extensions which are usable - this may be a show-stopper for many people. It's unlikely that the bulk of these extensions will be rewritten.
Hope I'm proved wrong, but ... :|

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Back to Opera for me. I really do like it. I have no clue why I mess around with Slimjet or any other browsers.