Request new feature - Append .com after URL is entered

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
martyxxx

Request new feature - Append .com after URL is entered

Post by martyxxx »

Some browsers such as Flashpeak's Slimbrowser permit the user to enter the URL without requiring a .com or a .net to be entered. Can this feature also be provided by Slimjet?

jeffhere

Re: Request new feature - Append .com after URL is entered

Post by jeffhere »

how would it know the difference between a website name without the .com or .net etcetera....versus a search I might be doing in the address bar?

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

Slimbrowser allows a user to set the autocomplete for this capability. It also provides an additional area to the right of the location where the URL is entered to be used for searching. Works real great.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

martyxxx wrote:Slimbrowser allows a user to set the autocomplete for this capability. It also provides an additional area to the right of the location where the URL is entered to be used for searching. Works real great.
If you mean having a separate search field like all broswers have, to the right side of the address field - I always shut that off....like to do my searches from the address bar (probably because I've done it that way for years and am used to where to go to! :D )

Sounds like a decent option but would not work for me if the case...

... or are you suggesting the address bar itself is partially split?

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

No. Just have side by side areas.

I would recommend implementing as an option. I am always forgetting to type the URL (minus the .com) and then hitting control-enter

dev

Post by dev »

Can't you use the "Type short alias instead of long URLs or commands to save time: alias definitions" for a temp fix.

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

I already use aliases for sites. The scenario is for one time (or rarely used) sites where I am making a type-in.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

It's already set up to add .com if you hit CTRL-Enter, if that's what you mean. Opera used to have three such hotkeys, for .com, .net, .org, for example, all configurable, but I don't think we have that yet.

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

I am aware of Ctrl enter. Slimbrowser for instance permits me to enter flashpeak in the URL and it will propogate .com without a need to enter ctlr-enter.