Norton 2014 blocks use of Slimjet

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
martyxxx

Norton 2014 blocks use of Slimjet

Post by martyxxx »

I installed Slimjet on my Windows 7 system. When I loaded the program Norton produced an "Unauthorized access blocked (Access Process Data)" message and would not provide access to the Internet. It flagged the AIRoboform\RobotaskbarICon.exe element. As an experiment I closed Roboform and then received the same type of error for Slimjet.

I use Roboform all of the time for multiple browsers (Google Chrome, Slimbrowser, and Internet Explorer) and have never had this problem. Additionally I have used Slimjet in a non Norton environment and I have not had any problem. I searched Norton's web site but there are no postings against Slimjet.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

dev

Re: Norton 2014 blocks use of Slimjet

Post by dev »

Try opening NIS, Click Settings, Click Network, Click Smart Firewall, Click Configure[+] beside Program Rules. Locate slimjet in the list and see what it says on the right. It should say Auto or Allow. Auto is best though. If slimjet is not there you might need to add a rule for it to run.

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

My Norton 2014 settings were set up as you recommended. If I can't resolve this problem I will unfortunately have to abandon the use of slimjet.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

This seems to be a frequent problem that goes back years, with any of the Chromium derivatives. Check out https://startpage.com/do/search?q=norto ... ess+chrome. The second thread suggests using a Norton tool to remove and reinstall the prog.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

martyxxx wrote:My Norton 2014 settings were set up as you recommended. If I can't resolve this problem I will unfortunately have to abandon the use of slimjet.
You've contact this forum...have you also contacted the Norton forums or company (if paid version) and asked them what's up?

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

I have searched Norton's support website. Nothing specifically on Slimjet. Theoretically it is just a warning message. There were similar problems in previous versions related to Google Chrome. I, however, am not having any problems with it.

dev

Post by dev »

Your not going to get a lot about slimjet in any other products forums really its a fairly new product hence the alerts/false reports from anti virus programs, best to look at chrome/chromium posts for the related problems and apply them for slimjet.
I would just knock norton on the head if you can and try another program/s. Windows own firewall, most free antivirus ( i use panda ) and anti malwarebytes gives you just as good protection as any paid solution.

martyxxx

Post by martyxxx »

I tried loading Slimjet while the system was booting up. It loaded and I was able to get to the Internet. After Norton finished it's load process (I am guessing it was looking for updates to load) the loaded Slimjet could not access the Internet.

Went back and tested again. First blockage was to RoboformTaskbar which is on my system. I went back and removed Roboform from memory and made sure that the Robotaskbar was not an extension to Slimjet.
I still had the problem.

BTW - My GoogleChrome does not have the problem with Roboform and/or Norton

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

if Norton also has a firewall, you may need to add slimjet to it....(if it's the Windows firewall, you can easily add programs to access (or blocked from) the net but I have no idea about norton.

If you disable norton, is all ok? If so, look there for your issue, not Slimjet.

Personally I tell all my customers to dump Norton (especially if they are paying for it) and use MSE but that's personal preference...I load MSE on all my laptops (for sale) and have never had an issue with internet access.

dev

Post by dev »

jeffhere wrote:
Personally I tell all my customers to dump Norton (especially if they are paying for it) and use MSE but that's personal preference...I load MSE on all my laptops (for sale) and have never had an issue with internet access.
EXACTLY it has improved over the years but norton is the most insidious, pain in the ass security software ever made.