Slimjet Crashing Continuously / BITS transfer

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
PietRada

Slimjet Crashing Continuously / BITS transfer

Post by PietRada »

after using Slimjet for a long time and thrusted it's stability, i encountered since yesterday continuous crashing of Slimjet even such that a start of the process was impossible. Reinstalled the latest version (15.0.4) and same happens thus should be something specific at my side.

After checking the event-log, it was quickly discovered: the number of BITS-jobs was on it's limit (60) so i could increase this number, but did check the jobs. All concerned failing transfers of "7.54_all_easylist.crx" thus possibly related to updating the adblocker list. Deleted all jobs and all was fine again. RootCause was probably specific settting of my firewall.

This raises the question: does Slimjet use BITS-service to update build-in AdLIsts even when AdBlocker is disabled and no url's are present, except the one required by Slimjet (there is no setting for auto-updating); if so this should be moved to section BUGS or Feature-requests.

Details of job: file copy
http://www.google.com/dl/release2/C6dTT ... sylist.crx -> x:\users\piet\chrome_BITS_1816_13452\7.54_all_easylist.crx
(X:\* is temp-location on ram-disk)

Almost sure is that the download-URL is fetched using "redirector.gvt1.com" and maybe "dl.google.com" (via svchost executing the BITS-service for Slimjet).
Note that more is ongoing what i don't like in Slimjet: after disabling my firewall and allowing to download above file from Google and enabling the firewall again, i note the failing next transfer request related to "3_all_sslErrorAssistant.crx" (sb-ssl.google.com) and also access to accounts.google.com.

Thus please check at developer-level access to Google's sites using the new Chromium-base!!

PietRada

Re: Slimjet Crashing Continuously / BITS transfer

Post by PietRada »

strange that this privacy related issue (unknown interaction with Google) has no reaction / comment of Slimjet developers. Not even Slimjet crashing which was reported with crashlogs, no info-request.

Please read again . . . .

Today the download initiated by Slimjet (Chrome-base) that will cause crashes, are:
26.0.0.151_win_PepperFlashPlayer.crx2
472_all_sthset.crx2

PietRada

Re: Slimjet Crashing Continuously / BITS transfer

Post by PietRada »

to stop Slimjet downloading autonomous several files using BITS (even when startup page = blank -page), i did the following:

in the HOSTS-file:
0.0.0.0 redirector.gvt1.com
0.0.0.0 dl.google.com

in my personal firewall: disable every access by Slimjet to:
accounts.google.com
*.googleapis.com

This finally stopped Slimjet using BITS-service to autonomously update internal components like hidden-extension Pepperflash, Easy-filerlists, etc.