[Feature Request] Suggestions for Bookmarks sidebar

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
AndyScull

[Feature Request] Suggestions for Bookmarks sidebar

Post by AndyScull »

Hi, I have some suggestions for sidebar:
1. Would it be possible to make sidebar remember expanded folders between SlimJet restarts? Currently, if you exit the program completely, on next run all folders are in closed state and you have to click more to get to your bookmarks list
2. Maybe change show/hide hotkey to Ctrl-B? Or, if this combinations is reserved for something, at least choose keys which could be pressed by left hand (right hand is usually occupied by mouse).
3. Ability to set bookmarks root folder for sidebar. I'd prefer it plain and simple, use only Bookmarks Bar folder, without those 'Mobile bookmarks', 'Managed bookmarks' and it would be more compact (~1cm wasted width because of extra tree level)

I found this browser not long ago, and have no other complains except minor nuisances mentioned above
Last edited by oftentired on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved topic to correct forum and expanded the subject for clarity

guciokun

Re: [Feature Request] Suggestions for Bookmarks sidebar

Post by guciokun »

AndyScull wrote:Hi, I have some suggestions for sidebar:
1. Would it be possible to make sidebar remember expanded folders between SlimJet restarts? Currently, if you exit the program completely, on next run all folders are in closed state and you have to click more to get to your bookmarks list
2. Maybe change show/hide hotkey to Ctrl-B? Or, if this combinations is reserved for something, at least choose keys which could be pressed by left hand (right hand is usually occupied by mouse).
3. Ability to set bookmarks root folder for sidebar. I'd prefer it plain and simple, use only Bookmarks Bar folder, without those 'Mobile bookmarks', 'Managed bookmarks' and it would be more compact (~1cm wasted width because of extra tree level)
1. Not sure if that can be done, but yeah it would be perfect. Only thing that comes to my mind would be problem with synchronizing, because entire bookmarks file structure could change after synchro.
2. Ctrl+B would be good, just like in firefox
3. I agree, I use bookmarks from bar only as well :)
And one from me:
4. Middle click to open bookmark in new tab, now only shift+click works for new tab (since fix for default behavior)
Cheers :D

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

guciokun wrote: 4. Middle click to open bookmark in new tab, now only shift+click works for new tab (since fix for default behavior)

Not sure what's different for you but for all bookmarks, my Slimjet is opening them in a new tab on a standard left click (no extensions forcing it). Tried from bookmark manager, bookmark sidebar and bookmark bar. Or what am am not catching?

guciokun

Post by guciokun »

jeffhere wrote:
guciokun wrote: 4. Middle click to open bookmark in new tab, now only shift+click works for new tab (since fix for default behavior)

Not sure what's different for you but for all bookmarks, my Slimjet is opening them in a new tab on a standard left click (no extensions forcing it). Tried from bookmark manager, bookmark sidebar and bookmark bar. Or what am am not catching?
In 1.2.9 it follows "Auto create new tab when a URL is entered" in settings. If unchecked external links and bookmarks will open in current tab. ;)
EDIT:
Note that this same behavior is for Bookmarks bar, with a difference that you can open new tab with MMB, which is what I want.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

guciokun wrote:
In 1.2.9 it follows "Auto create new tab when a URL is entered" in settings. If unchecked external links and bookmarks will open in current tab. ;)
EDIT:
Note that this same behavior is for Bookmarks bar, with a difference that you can open new tab with MMB, which is what I want.
yes, I saw that but thought it was only for url's entered in the address field (which I like to have on anyway!).

That wording should be clearer maybe....

Why not just select it so it works like you want? Or so you want some opening in new and others not?

guciokun

Post by guciokun »

jeffhere wrote:
guciokun wrote:
Why not just select it so it works like you want? Or so you want some opening in new and others not?
I want bookmarks to open with the left mouse button in current tab and with middle in new, which I can't do from bookmarks side panel. When unchecked, It works this way from bookmarks bar, just like in Firefox/Chrome on default.
In previous version bookmarks opened in new tab regardless of how it was set in settings, so developers fixed it to consider that checkbox, but there is no option to open bookmark in new tab with middle mouse button.
Sorry if I didn't make it more clear before.

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

got it...confirmed with the feature unchecked, nothing happens on a middle click if using the sidebar....