VirusTotal has two negatives on Slimjet portable zip

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
slim.moe

VirusTotal has two negatives on Slimjet portable zip

Post by slim.moe »

Why are there two negative results on Slimjet?
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/b8b4 ... 500992936/

oftentired

Re: VirusTotal has two negatives on Slimjet portable zip

Post by oftentired »

They probably have not updated themselves with the false positive information. When Slimjet first came out it was getting hits like crazy because the installer program has some code similar in nature to a virus. So when the scanner uses the heuristic algorithm method to look for viruses it comes up as a hit. If the scanner only uses Signature scanning to look for a virus (or if the virus scanner database has been updated with Slimjet as a false positive) it won't come up as a hit because it is not a virus. Of course, as you well know, you should still scan Slimjet installer and any other program your going to install on a regular basis. But be aware of the potential for false hits. I've run a lot of virus total scans and I'll get some false hits now and then. I go with with the majority vote when I use virus total :)
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sweetpeas

Re: VirusTotal has two negatives on Slimjet portable zip

Post by sweetpeas »

That positives contained from 7zip sfx it has nothing to do with 7zip or slimjet itself
if make a normal zip or .7z & scanned it again it won't find anything.
Renpy is the best sample software. Everybody knows that Ren'py visual novel engine is clean.
But when wrap in 7z sfx it marked as false positive.
There're many clean software that marked as false positive from coding which are harmless.

Even nsis 3 installer also cause false positive even you compiled the software to .exe installer
The best solution would be making .msi installer but you can't see the installer icon like .exe
It's a shame that most rar sfx, 7z sfx marked as positives when wrapped the file.