Unattended install

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
paul1149

Unattended install

Post by paul1149 »

I refurb laptops and have been doing a lot of SJ installs. Are there any switches available? I would like to avoid interaction, set it as the default browser, and avoid an automatic first run. Thanks.

jeffhere

Re: Unattended install

Post by jeffhere »

paul1149 wrote:I refurb laptops and have been doing a lot of SJ installs. Are there any switches available? I would like to avoid interaction, set it as the default browser, and avoid an automatic first run. Thanks.
I think the install is the fastest...but you could do this (I also refurb and sell laptops!)....

Install slimjet on a machine and set it up how you want it in settings, any extensions, etc. Then zip the slimjet folder where you installed it. For the settings, you'd also have to zip the
C:\Users\"whatever name you installed it under"\AppData\Local\Slimjet (assuming W7)

You could try just the program files folder but then I think no settings would be saved, etc...

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I do carry over a profile with all my settings, automatically as part of a batch file. But what I'm looking for is to install SJ without interaction.

Laptops are interesting, eh? :)

Paul

jeffhere

Post by jeffhere »

Been doing them (only) for 7 years...At first, the learning curve, but otherwise not so bad. I do mostly Lenovo and Dell (business machines) and WILL NOT DO HP as in the past I was burned by the old DV series and a set of known issues, HP was terrible with their support of me.

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

It's usually a lot of fun. The business end of it - not so much.

As for HP, etc, I've found that they all make good stuff, they all make garbage. HP has a chronic problem with fans, but is generally consistent. Dell has some great models, but a lot of clunkers. Same for service - they all have done well by me at times, then they'll turn around and try to get rich off me. Asus wanted to sell me recovery disks for $50 once. HP wanted $350 for a replacement netbook screen assembly - almost twice what I was going to sell the entire unit for. I don't know what happened to Toshiba. I have some great netbooks they put out, but some of the C655 laptops are an embarrassment to sell.