Built in Social Filter Too Aggressive?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
jeffhere

Built in Social Filter Too Aggressive?

Post by jeffhere »

I have been using the browser for a while and use another on as backup. I have noticed that in USA Today, the comments are not working in Slimjet....at first I thought it was just a USA Today issue....but it's gone on for a while. I checked with the other browser and it worked fine! All plugins and extension are identical.

What I troubleshot was one of the new features "Block social network javascript on third-party websites" may be too aggressive?? Oddly enough I had a similar issue with the adblocker I use when they added a similar filter. I could not access certain links at some sites....fortunately they fixed it.

Try enabling that feature (Block social network javascript on third-party websites) and then go to:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... topstories as an example. You could probably check comments on any article...the comments look like they are using facebook.com in this case...

Currently I can just unselect, refresh and all ok....

Maybe it's supposed to work that way? Can you please fix so it is not affecting normal operations?

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Built in Social Filter Too Aggressive?

Post by flashpeak »

Their comments are based on facebook using your facebook account. Facebook will know you have visited this particular piece of news as soon as you hit this page without actually making a comment. Don't be surprised if you see a piece of ads based on this knowledge next time you visit facebook.

Facebook is arguably the worst beast when it comes to invading your privacy compared to Google. I tested some adult sites based on user requests. A few weeks later, the right panel of my facebook page was flooded with some sexually-explicit ads. I had to install an ad blocker to get rid of them all.

If you don't mind this kind of tracking and targeting anyway, you can turn off the option. Some people like targeted ads more than random ads. It is a matter of personal preference.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

jeffhere

Re: Built in Social Filter Too Aggressive?

Post by jeffhere »

I don't use facebook, hate it, so I would not know anything about what is on facebook. You don't need a facebook acct to view the comments (maybe for making comments you do? I just view them for laughs! :D )....anyway, I tuned it off and I user Adguard's socail filter which works fine...can view comments, no ads!
flashpeak wrote:Their comments are based on facebook using your facebook account. Facebook will know you have visited this particular piece of news as soon as you hit this page without actually making a comment. Don't be surprised if you see a piece of ads based on this knowledge next time you visit facebook.

Facebook is arguably the worst beast when it comes to invading your privacy compared to Google. I tested some adult sites based on user requests. A few weeks later, the right panel of my facebook page was flooded with some sexually-explicit ads. I had to install an ad blocker to get rid of them all.

If you don't mind this kind of tracking and targeting anyway, you can turn off the option. Some people like targeted ads more than random ads. It is a matter of personal preference.