problem reinstalling chrome after using one of your versions

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
javismiles

problem reinstalling chrome after using one of your versions

Post by javismiles »

Good day

I downloaded one of the old chrome versions from your slimjet website, to test with a project of mine. All good. Then I wanted to go back to the normal google chrome latest version and I cannot. I delete all chrome folders, registry keys, etc, etc and I cannot install the latest normal chrome browser, I keep getting messages that I have a newer version installed, could you please help me to find out how to fully uninstall an older chrome version downloaded from your website? I have tried everything, deleted all folders, deleted registry keys, etc, etc
How can I fully uninstall your old chrome versions so that I can reinstall the standard google one? help please
thank you so much

oftentired

Re: problem reinstalling chrome after using one of your vers

Post by oftentired »

try downloading the offline installer with this link and see if that will install

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?standalone=1
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

MiqW7394

Post by MiqW7394 »

If you're running Windows, you could always try the Portable version of Chrome, available from PortableApps.com.

https://portableapps.com/apps

Like the SlimJet version, it will run from its own totally self-contained folder, which can be placed anywhere you like. I used to run it from My Documents. Just link the executable to the desktop, and there's your launcher.

It doesn't write to the main registry; it has its own mini-registry within the folder. Back when I still ran XP, I never installed any programs at all on the final re-install; I ran absolutely everything I needed as a bunch of portables.

Worked a treat. And if you ever have any problems with a Portable 'install', simply delete the folder ('registry' goes with it). Then 're-install' again (re-unzip the PortableApp's contents to a new folder.) Just my two-penn'orth.

Mike. :)

javismiles

Post by javismiles »

Thank you both for your replies

I did try already https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/d ... andalone=1 ,
but it fails, it gives the error message that I have newer version installed and does not allow me to install the latest google one.

My problem is that i cannot manage to delete whatever traces the slimjet installer left, and i cannot install a normal google version, no matter what i do,

any tips?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

This is an unusual problem for Slimjet.

If you have not done so, using the Slimjet offline installer, right click and run it as Admin. See if that will work.

Another thing to try is to log into a different admin account on the same computer and install it (again the Slimjet offline installer) using that account. See if that will cover/correct the other account.

Failing that, I would install the Standalone Slimjet. Run it, then go into settings and under the Default browser section click the button to, "Repair browser registry settings".
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11