Videos play automaticly.

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
RonHarbin

Videos play automaticly.

Post by RonHarbin »

When reading news etc, at sites like usatoday where there is a video on the page the video will play automatically. When the rest of the house is sleeping I cannot have this happening, besides my hearing is very poor and I often cannot understand the speaker. Also sometimes I like to play music while surfing or studying.

How can I stop these videos from playing automatically?

RBTB2605

Re: Videos play automaticly.

Post by RBTB2605 »

Unfortunately, these sites think that we WANT to see the videos. I see no way to stop them from playing. Best bet is to turn off your speakers or turn the volume down to 0.

RonHarbin

Post by RonHarbin »

Thanks for your reply. Slimjet is the only browser that I use that does it. and when using this old laptop I was hoping to use Slimjet as it loads faster.
I might still. Chrome is OK.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

You can try this add on to mute your tabs automatically: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e?hl=en-US

RonHarbin

Post by RonHarbin »

Thanks, will do

It works good. slimjet still sends the video to the lower right corner but I can live with that easily.

Thanks again.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

If the video has an X (usually upper right), click on it & video should disappear.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

It is not Slimjet "sending the videos to the corner"... it is the websites themselves. This is not a function of the browser, this is how they are configuring websites that play videos these days.

RonHarbin

Post by RonHarbin »

RBTB2605 wrote:It is not Slimjet "sending the videos to the corner"... it is the websites themselves. This is not a function of the browser, this is how they are configuring websites that play videos these days.
Thanks for the info. I would have to do more research than it is worth to do to find out what is different for my setup. Edge and Browzar do not start the Video. Edge has Ghostery and Adblock plus only on it, Slimjet has these also. Browzar is a 212 KB program. I loaded IE for the first time in a few years and it runs as is expected (no add-ons). Firefox does not run the video either but I have a gob of extensions on Fx and have not run it for months. I do believe all but maybe Browzar are HTML5.

So Edge is the odd=ball and Browzar is likely too simple. IE and Slimjet are working normally. I cannot figure out why Fx does not run the videos, none of the add-ons are preventing the videos as far as I can tell. Another "boring day" job.

Thanks for the info..I will look and see if there is a place on the Slimjet site for future improvement ideas.

robbinsd

Post by robbinsd »

I don't know if this extension will work for the site(s) you're visiting, but I use it. It's called Disable HTML5 Autoplay.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... olai?hl=en

Maybe it will help. Cheers!

RonHarbin

Post by RonHarbin »

Thanks very much , I will try it.