Gmail to stop supporting old Chrome versions

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
7bfb4bef

Gmail to stop supporting old Chrome versions

Post by 7bfb4bef »

From ComputerWorld: Gmail to stop supporting old Chrome versions
Users of older editions of Chrome could start being redirected to the basic HTML version of Gmail as early as December
Google quietly announced Tuesday that Gmail will stop supporting older versions of its Chrome browser soon, in a move that will put another nail in the coffins of Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Users of Chrome version 53 and older editions of the browser could start being redirected to the basic HTML version of Gmail as early as December, the company said in a blog post. Starting next week, users who will be affected by the change will start seeing a banner at the top of Gmail telling them to upgrade to an up-to-date version of Google’s browser.

spotify95

Re: Gmail to stop supporting old Chrome versions

Post by spotify95 »

Aah excellent, so this will mean I won't be able to access Gmail on my Slimjet 10 for Windows 7. Great!

For the record: I am keeping Slimjet 10 due to loss of NPAPI plugins in Slimjet 11 and newer, and the main reason for this is Google Talk functionality. Now Google are going to stop letting me access Gmail from Slimjet 10...

Any ideas for resolving this, keeping NPAPI for my Gmail (and other uses) without being shunted off?

In regards to Windows XP... I have found Firefox to be less intensive than Chrome (Chrome couldn't play Youtube or Spotify without stuttering a lot, whereas Firefox can) so Slimjet for XP isn't an issue for me.

bksening

Re: Gmail to stop supporting old Chrome versions

Post by bksening »

If you "use SJ 10 for NPAPI support, and the main reason for this is Google Talk functionality", then just use Google Hangouts and you'll have no problems.