Video doesn't play

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
chiefjim

Video doesn't play

Post by chiefjim »

Curious as to what is affecting my video playback. For example when selecting a video on Fox News the system will play the advertisement but not the news video. This pattern is repeated on all web sites.

chiefjim

Re: Video doesn't play

Post by chiefjim »

A little update. YouTube videos play normally. Embedded videos from news sources like Fox News don't play at all. So far I've tried adjusting adblock settings along with using different adblock extensions. These videos do play normally with Firefox however. So why not using Slimjet?

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim »

Amazing not one reply with a suggestion. Perhaps others don't have this issue. For the record I'm using Slimjet Version 14.0.6.0 on a Linux Mint 64 bit install.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Update to the newest Slimjet & adobe flash & see if the problem persists. Are you sure your pc is 64 bit? If not, try 32. I'm on Linux Mint 32, no problems.

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim »

Guess that is worth a try. Guaranteed my system is 64 bit. But perhaps SJ 64 isn't ready for prime time. Did notice the Chromium 64 works fine though. I just hate not be able to load bookmarks on the sidebar.

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

Not sure it matters, but I use the Deb, not Zip download.

ronwhite

Post by ronwhite »

Chiefjim, may the reason no reply has a suggestion is that no one knows how to fix the problem. Apparently, even the Slimjet developers don't know a fix, which is a shame because it's a horrible blemish on an otherwise beautiful program.

(BTW, what I really detest is replies that ask, "Are you sure you have a 64-bit machine?" or "Do you have the latest version?" It's like blaming the victim.)

sleeper10

Post by sleeper10 »

(BTW, what I really detest is replies that ask, "Are you sure you have a 64-bit machine?" or "Do you have the latest version?" It's like blaming the victim.)
Not really, slimjet has been behind in adobe flash updates & many don't know or forget if their machine is 32 or 64 bit. So, it's always wise to check these first if having problems. Now that may or may not be the cause here. We won't know until he gives us an update.

MiqW7394

Post by MiqW7394 »

chiefjim wrote:Guess that is worth a try. Guaranteed my system is 64 bit. But perhaps SJ 64 isn't ready for prime time. Did notice the Chromium 64 works fine though. I just hate not be able to load bookmarks on the sidebar.
Just for the record, I've been re-packaging 64-bit 'Slimmie' for Puppy Linux for around a year now; it's very definitely ready for 'prime time'. If anything, the 64-bit version is even smoother than the 32-bit.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106957

One of our 'Puppians' had the same kind of problem as you, I believe. If you read the thread, from this post, it may give you some insights....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 855#952855

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

JBresnahan

Post by JBresnahan »

I have been having the problem on the CBS, Fox land other news videos not playing. I would click on them and they would open a video screen that was just blank.
I was playing around some on this today and can't remember why, but I decided to go into my extensions area and turn them all OFF.
I shut down Slimjet and then started again and Whoa!, the CBS and Fox videos are playings.
I then went into the extensions area and started turning them back one and then checking. Found that for some reason an extension called "DuckDuckGo Privacy" was my culprit.
Removed it and all other extensions are active and I'm getting videos now. Can't hurt to see if that would be your problem.