Slimjet 1.2.6/1.2.7 Update - Nice!

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
jeffhere

Slimjet 1.2.6/1.2.7 Update - Nice!

Post by jeffhere »

@ Stephen = Wanted to first say this update was a nice one for me and I think for all! Adding the "close tab on right click" - excellent implementation. Tested and works for me, also ensure "control right click" opens the tab menu. I was able to remove a small program that acted as an extension to perform that right click! One less extension and lower memory usage too!

The drag feature, also nice! I tested and could drag text for a google search (my default), drag links of course and also pictures. All worked as would expect...so even if I copy text from a link and drag it, it opens a search as it should.
Last edited by jeffhere on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dev

Re: Slimjet 1.2.6 Update - Nice!

Post by dev »

Agreed everything seems to be running ok, the drag and drop works fine with my default search engine startpage. The incognito settings is a nice touch. I cannot see the point of the shortcut option but expect someone does. The toolbar button to search for keywords within the current site using Google site search would be handy if people could change the search engine (google privacy issue). The close tab by right click i know jeff is happy now :P Quick question Do the extra privacy options (which are a great addition) do anything more than what the standard adblocker/tracking extensions already do ?

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

We could let the site search toolbar button to use the currently selected search engine. But I am not sure all the search engines support or use the site:www.domain.com for searching within a specific site.

The shortcut option was mentioned by somebody else on the forum who don't want to open a new browser window when clicking on the shortcut, i.e., emulating a single-instance behavior.

As for the Privacy options, you might be able to find different extensions to do something similar to what we are doing. I didn't do the research specifically. However, within the current extension structure of Chrome, every new extension is going to cost you a separate rendering process. And extensions are based on JavaScript and they run a lot slower than our native implementation.
dev wrote:Agreed everything seems to be running ok, the drag and drop works fine with my default search engine startpage. The incognito settings is a nice touch. I cannot see the point of the shortcut option but expect someone does. The toolbar button to search for keywords within the current site using Google site search would be handy if people could change the search engine (google privacy issue). The close tab by right click i know jeff is happy now :P Quick question Do the extra privacy options (which are a great addition) do anything more than what the standard adblocker/tracking extensions already do ?
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Agree, all good! But for privacy can you please add an incognito tab (private tab) to save me, "us" on clicks and to switch through tabs easily when using mouse wheel.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:We could let the site search toolbar button to use the currently selected search engine. But I am not sure all the search engines support or use the site:www.domain.com for searching within a specific site.

The shortcut option was mentioned by somebody else on the forum who don't want to open a new browser window when clicking on the shortcut, i.e., emulating a single-instance behavior.

As for the Privacy options, you might be able to find different extensions to do something similar to what we are doing. I didn't do the research specifically. However, within the current extension structure of Chrome, every new extension is going to cost you a separate rendering process. And extensions are based on JavaScript and they run a lot slower than our native implementation.
dev wrote:Agreed everything seems to be running ok, the drag and drop works fine with my default search engine startpage. The incognito settings is a nice touch. I cannot see the point of the shortcut option but expect someone does. The toolbar button to search for keywords within the current site using Google site search would be handy if people could change the search engine (google privacy issue). The close tab by right click i know jeff is happy now :P Quick question Do the extra privacy options (which are a great addition) do anything more than what the standard adblocker/tracking extensions already do ?
Yeah I get that extensions are now javascript and run separate but the problem is that if your privacy settings don't do anything else that my adblocker does there is no point to them because your settings don't cover everything a adblocker does so i have to still have a adblocker extension installed. Now I'm not knocking the extra settings, I think they are a good thing but how they are now maybe more bloat than good. Maybe idea to contact someone who runs a adblocker extension like Ublock and see if you can implement their extension to run native within slimjet.

If you could let the site search toolbar button to use the currently selected search engine that would be a major plus for me and others i expect.
Again new beta is running smooth. great job done :)

Joel

Post by Joel »

1.2.6??? Where do I get it? The homepage still says 1.2.5, and the "Check update" says there are no new versions. :?:
Not everyone is a genius like you; treat them accordingly.

dev

Post by dev »

Joel wrote:1.2.6??? Where do I get it? The homepage still says 1.2.5, and the "Check update" says there are no new versions. :?:
http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

Joel

Post by Joel »

Ah! Thanks! :mrgreen:
Not everyone is a genius like you; treat them accordingly.

guciokun

Re: Slimjet 1.2.6/1.2.7 Update - Nice!

Post by guciokun »

I have a little question, is there a way to open bookmark in active tab from bookmarks side panel?

dev

Re: Slimjet 1.2.6/1.2.7 Update - Nice!

Post by dev »

guciokun wrote:I have a little question, is there a way to open bookmark in active tab from bookmarks side panel?
I cannot see a way to do it as mine always open in a new tab but i don't use the side panel really. I just have the bookmark manager on my bookmark bar so i use that.