ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
Ontario Canada

Your connection is not private error

Post by Ontario Canada »

Long time Slimjet on Linux user. New problem as of this morning, no idea what is causing it.

When I go to https sites, I get the Privacy error with the heading, "Your connection is not private" and the https crossed out in the address bar.

Up to last night it was not doing this. Does not do it with Chrome, Chromium or FireFox. Have not restarted computer (computer on 24/7). I don't THINK I've changed any settings.

(I have tried shutting down Slimjet and restarting it, but did not help)

Slimjet 12.0.9.0

on: Linux Mint 18.0 Cinnamon.

What have I done (I KNOW it's me) to make it do this?

Thanks in advance.

atari800

Re: Your connection is not private error

Post by atari800 »

I got samething
Cant get to AMAZON
Cant get to my bank

However Firefox and other browsers are ok
Seems chrome update fixes their problem they had which slimjet is based on

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

Yeah, Amazon and my bank as well.

So, does this mean we just wait until the next update for Slimjet and use Chrome or Firefox in the interim?

(BTW, I remember when the Atari 800 came out - very nice computer for its day - I was using a Commodore PET at the time with the horrible chiclet keyboard and really wanted one)

atari800

Post by atari800 »

I had a Commodore PET. 32k Ram - cassette player
Then Atari 800, C64, Atari 400, IBM PC XT, AT (286/286/486 blah blah blah)

and yes - I have reverted back to Firefox for the time being

celemelec

Post by celemelec »

Ditto - same problem here. Cannot reach Yahoo mail and when eBay attempts to link to PayPal I get the same error. I guess I too will revert to Firefox.

celemelec

Your connection is not private error

Post by celemelec »

Slimjet became unusable today. I can no longer reach Yahoo mail or PayPal due to rejections like this:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

I have been forced to go back to FireFox, as have others based upon posts in the board->general.
Last edited by oftentired on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Not a Bug Report Issue; combining this post with the topic already started on the issue

Ontario Canada

Post by Ontario Canada »

Wow. I guess this is a Slimjet issue, and not my doing. I would have bet I did something to cause this. There's a first for everything.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

This website has a useful discussion on the problem with some suggestions for temporary and sometimes permanent solutions.

https://usefulpcguide.com/16666/your-co ... t-private/

One thing to note, and this is touched on near the beginning of that website, if you get the SSL or privacy warning you should always check that the Internet Address your browser is pointing at is the correct address for where you want to go. One tactic used by the bad guys is to have your browser point at an address that looks like the correct one when glanced at quickly. Sometimes you may not be able to see the difference.

Also, as you may realize if you read the info on the website, this problem is sometimes server side (out there in internet land) and sometimes local browser/system (your computer). It can, of course, be a combination of both too. It is difficult to figure out where the problem is at.

Today I have been using Slimjet and made multiple https connections and there have been no privacy messages. With only a few users reporting an issue so far, I'm still leaning toward the problem not being with Slimjet itself and something at the server or a change to the local system such as firewall/antivirus update.

It can also be something as simple as an update on the server security certificates that has not caught up with your local system certificates (or vice versa).
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Ontario Canada

Re: ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

Post by Ontario Canada »

Lets use Amazon for instance. If I go to amazon.ca (Amazon Canada) in Chrome or Firefox, it works normally. In Slimjet amazon.ca gets the error. So, this is on the same computer, at the same time, with the same address and only Slimjet has the issue - and it did not have the issue the day before yesterday. I read the link you gave - nothing there to resolve the problem in this case. I bet most people who have this issue will just switch browsers and not bother (or even think about) coming here to report it.

True, not all https sites get the error, but at least 3 that I use daily do. Though my preferred browser is Slimjet, I've switched to Chrome for now and will check Slimjet now and then to see if it has been resolved.

atari800

Re: ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

Post by atari800 »

The problem is CHROME and SYMANTEC certificates