ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
philCFNBD

Re: ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED

Post by philCFNBD »

oftentired wrote:
lauriellen wrote:I posted this to a shorter bug report, but this thread looks busier, so I'll share it here too ...

Hi! I have had the privacy error problem with Slimjet too. I downloaded and installed the latest update, but the error persisted. I checked my version number, which is Version 12.0.1.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89), but the release says 12.0.12.0, released Dec. 11. My version number is from October. I tried installing it twice. I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling, but I wasn't sure if my settings and info would be saved, and I hate to go through transferring all the info from Firefox again that I did when I switched to Slimjet. I've been using Firefox for the https sites, but Firefox performs horribly on my computer. Chrome is not horrible, just annoying, and I don't have anything set up with Chrome. Is there a way to make sure the current version installs? Thanks!
If the web installer is problematic for you try the offline installer for the correct OS and hardware spec (32 or 64).

Download Webpage
I just:
* uninstalled Slimjet 64-bit for Windows installer (chrome://help/ shows "Version 12.0.12.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 (64-bit))")
* downloaded and ran the latest offline installer for Slimjet 64-bit for Windows

chrome://help/ still shows "Version 12.0.12.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 (64-bit))"

HELP????

cwm4bama

Post by cwm4bama »

That is the latest version of SJ...what version do you think you should have?

Stable Release (12.0.12.0)

http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage_win64.php

What version do you see if you click the SJ menu and select Help Center/About Slimjet ??

PietRada

Post by PietRada »

I encountered this issue as well on a very thusted Backing Site.

it lookes related to Chromium 53 on which the Slimjet 12.x are based. I assume therefore that updating to the latest version 12.0.12 will still have this Chromium problem. A bug-note for them can be found on internet as well explanation as below

=========================================================================================================
Certificate Transparency required for Symantec certificates

Last year, Symantec was found to have mis-issued a large number of certificates as part of an error in a system meant for test certificates. In response to this incident, Google required that all of Symantec’s certificates be logged to Certificate Transparency (CT) logs, which would give the community better oversight of Symantec’s issuance practices.

This requirement applies to all Symantec certificates issued after June 1, 2016. This includes all of Symantec’s CA brands, which include GeoTrust, Thawte, and RapidSSL.

In Chrome 53 that requirement is now being enforced. Any Symantec issued certificate issued after June 1st that is not logged will present a full-page error (with the error code NET::ERR_CERTIFICATE_TRANSPARENCY_REQUIRED). For the most part, this should not be an issue for end users as Symantec logs all newly issued certificates by default.
=================================================================================================================================

Can anybody confirm that the latest Slimjet did resolve this (don't think so; better to wait for the update to Chromium 55 i guess and run in the mean time another browser for the questionable sites).

EDIT1: sorry, i see that somebody confirmed that V12.0.12 did resilve this thus will tests also and report back

EDIT2: the user problem is resolved: websites with a problematical certificate will be accessed directly (before by user action: choose advanced info, continue unsecure) but in the address-field the HTTPS-logo will still be red / crossed indicating the problematical certificate. The website-owners have to update their certificate as above explained. Thus Slimjet-developers did their work: thanks guys.
Last edited by PietRada on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

philCFNBD

Post by philCFNBD »

cwm4bama wrote:That is the latest version of SJ...what version do you think you should have?

Stable Release (12.0.12.0)

http://www.slimjet.com/en/dlpage_win64.php

What version do you see if you click the SJ menu and select Help Center/About Slimjet ??
That pulls up: slimjet://help
Which states: "Version 12.0.12.0 (based on Chromium 53.0.2785.89 (64-bit))"

Chromium Stable is up to 56 -- and apparently people using normal Chrome 56 don't see this error message. When will SlimJet be updated to the latest Chromium Stable?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

philCFNBD wrote:When will SlimJet be updated to the latest Chromium Stable?
The developers do not normally inform us when a release will happen. They do what they have to do, when they chose to do it, at the pace they set for what they want to do. In return we get a free browser that has fairly regular updates and almost always works as advertised.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

philCFNBD

Post by philCFNBD »

oftentired wrote:
philCFNBD wrote:When will SlimJet be updated to the latest Chromium Stable?
The developers do not normally inform us when a release will happen. They do what they have to do, when they chose to do it, at the pace they set for what they want to do. In return we get a free browser that has fairly regular updates and almost always works as advertised.
True, but Google's Chromium team does report when stable updates are released. You (and the SlimJet devs) can follow it via their blog in your browser https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/s ... %20updates -- or via RSS: http://feeds.feedburner.com/GoogleChromeReleases

Chromium stable release 54.x was announced October 12, 2016

Chromium stable release 55.x was announced December 1, 2016

I don't know what the SlimJet devs' process is, but in theory they could have a RSS listener that -- when a new stable Chromium is announced -- kicks off an automated Continuous Delivery process (Jenkins or otherwise) to:
* git pull that new Chromium stable version
* build test SlimJet executables for each OS release (I have this dream that one day we'll get one for OS X)
* run automated tests on those test SlimJet executables
* if those automated tests all pass, (a) automatically release those SlimJet executables to the slimjet.com download page and then (b) messages listeners on the mirror sites to go get it